Can I file a restraining order against my ex if I initiated the physical altercation?

I've been posting here all week about a relationship gone sour (anonymously) im sorry to say it ended in a physical domestic dispute. i know a lot of people are going to say this was my fault but i really need help/support right now.

i dated a guy for a short period of time i got up the courage to ask the girl if he was dating her too...he was. we decided to meet up and confront him.

here is where im in the wrong: we went to his place of work, i asked him to come out, i showed him the girl..what i didn't expect was him to flip on me...he started telling this girl i was crazy & dont believe me. so clearly i thought i was his girlfriend & i was the side girl. all that aside he started talking crazily to me & i hit him in the face...once i hit him once i just kept going...my heart was so broken because he really didn't treat me like a side girl & later retracted that i was...be hitting him lead to him picking me up and throwing me down twice. there are marks all over me and my body in a lot of pain.

my question is: i know im in the wrong...but im also very afraid of what this guy is going to do to me..he is much bigger than I and he has already hurt me...I started it & i know its sexist to think he wouldn't hit a girl back & emotions are no excuse for physical abuse but i am SCARED.

legally i'm not trying to press charges i just want a file of protection...do I have that right? even though i hit him first? or will i just end up getting arrested when i tell the police what happened?
  • I can file a restraining order & not worry about being arrested
  • if i try to file a restraining order i will be arrested for hitting first

26

Most Helpful Girl

• Ring up the police and ask then anonymously what your options are.

I don't think you should bother though. He only became physical with you after you 1) Aggressively confronted him, 2) Became violent with him.

Just leave it, if he harrasses/stalks you then go to the police. If you keep this going without reason then he probably will get nasty/ugly in retaliation. If a week has past and nothing's happened then I'd say you're in the clear.