Nobody Likes You... So What Are You Going to Do About It?

I've read and heard my fair share of complaints from people who seem to feel as though no one likes them for some particular reason or quality that others seem to have and they don't. They say so and so is not as smart as them, or is a bad boy, or taller then them, or a different race or religion, or is more high maintenance, has more money than them, or is skinnier then them, or dresses a certain way that they can't or won't, and the lists go on. Nobody likes you, so what are you going to do about it?

I mean that, what are you going to do about it? If someone doesn't like you, why are you fighting tooth and nail for their approval? Sure you can go back to school, or put on some make-up, or workout more or whatever the thing you think is holding you back, but if whatever those changes are, aren't a part of you or who you truly want to be and you're just doing it to try to get people to like you, you're going to fail or lose yourself in the process of trying to become someone you're not.

You cannot force attraction. Saying things like, so and so should want to date someone like me is such a waste of breath. People like what they like. You..like what you like, so why are you so offended when someone doesn't like you or your personality or your looks and why take it so personally? There are absolutely people you would never date or would probably pass over, I don't care who you are so if you can understand that, then someone not personally liking whatever it is about you shouldn't be such a surprise all the time. You can't decide for someone else what they should or should not like in another human being because attraction is something that is built up in us over time as a result of experience, our upbringing, our exposure to friends and various people and experiences, and cultural/societal/ and even religious norms.

And then here it comes...wait for it...3...2...1...but life is so unfair and blah, blah, blah. Yeah, where have you been? We all wish everyone liked us and who we are and what we looked like, but that isn't the case. This is the real world. Is it incredibly difficult when you aren't "the chosen one," more often then not, yes, and I'm sure you've written loads of questions and takes about your unfortunate circumstances, but this can be that sucky part of life where some portion of society just don't get you or like what you have to offer, but the truth is, it only takes one. And as hard as a pill is it is to swallow, some will never get that fairy tell ending. They just won't, but I can also assure you that life is so much more beyond just having to be in a relationship.

78

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• There is always someone prettier, taller, richer, skinner, fatter out there. Agree with the self-improvement Just take care of yourself: shower, sleep, eat reasonably well, do some kind of workout a few days; greet your neighbors, bus driver, bartender, professor, sibling (be kind in general and it seeps into the rest of your life; being kind doesn't mean being nice or a pushover); watch a few TV shows; and learn how to do something. This will improve you and keep you busy. Have a few jokes up your sleeve. Ask for people's opinions. Also, it's good to have a few circles of friends/buddies. If you don't have any friends (moved to a new city), you need to join a club. If you are out of university, you can find people your age at the university's graduate programs (don't be creepy about it; just tell them you're interested in going to law/business/grad school) - lots of parties and movie nights - just one Facebook friend, and you get invited everywhere if you do the "take care of yourself" above. Organized sports. Even church. Once seeking a relationship, try not to put the person up on a pedestal. Only place for the person to go is to fall. After rejection, just be neutral-kind if you see the person again (treat the person kindly on the level of a bus driver).

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 7

• "life is so much more beyond just having to be in a relationship"
    This is true & I know this! Unfortunately when someone (Me) has built up the though of a relationship to be the end all, beat all of what (I) they have been looking for (my) their whole life It's hard to find joy in life. Worst part is (I) they may have built this though of a relationship up in (my) their head so much that if it becomes a reality their is no way it will live up to the fantasy (I) we have made it out to be.

Especially after find this site I have read so many articles that it is so wrong, terrible & terrifying that I have placed so much of my happiness into the hands of another. Again I know this to be true my happiness is my responsibility & yet I can't manage to even begin to be happy.

Self improvement in it of it self is a process of becoming who you are. Losing yourself in it isn't an option, you will never be able to improve yourself enough to attract certain people that is unfortunately a fact. What are yo going to do about it? cut them out of your life! they failed to see how great you are fuck'em. no one said you have to be a good person to these people or stick around. This goes for friends, family & strangers.

• If no one likes you, then there is probably a good reason for that. Sucks to admit that, but it doesn't come from nothing.

• There is truth in that too. I had a co-worker once who was such a bitter b*tch to literally everyone that when she got pregnant, no one wanted to go to the baby shower, let alone bring gifts, or make food as they did for anyone else who had gotten pregnant in the past. My boss even tried to fire her, but apparently you can't really fire someone for just being a b*tch unless it's affecting their job performance.

• It's a tough pill to swallow but most people only surround themselves with you, if they get something out of it. Even if its something as simple as just having an easy going, good time.

• I am absolutely thankful for the friends and family I have in my life. However, I wish I could attract a girlfriend. Right now I can't.

• Good take and I agree.

• Everyone likes me

• MEh. I wasted my time for years looking for someone. Fuck that shit.

• Every feminist in the West should read this.

What Girls Said 6

• sweet rant! believe me I've dealt with plenty who hate me either because of my music, religion, etc. but I'm someone who believes and supports individualism. its better being individual than trying to conform to something. I'm definitely not part of the norm lol

• Some people need to realize that not everybody is going to like them. We don't have to like everyone, as long as we're not total assholes to every person we don't like.
    If everyone could just accept that and themselves for what they are, that would be great.

• Nothing.

• Agreed. Just move on.

• I don't give a shit about others.

• What if it's your family?

• In a perfect world, everyone would also have a loving family, but sometimes family can be the cruelest people of all. If it is your family that does not like you no matter what you try, I suggest making family somewhere else. Family doesn't always have to be biological. I have friends who have had to completely cut ties, who have found love and support in friends like myself who see and love them for who they are.