Why Women Actually Give Assholes the Time of Day

One of the most tedious ideas in dating advice is the idea of 'nice guys finish last' and 'girls love bad boys.' It's a truism that never seems to fully go away- the idea that women love assholes and will pick them over the self described nice guys.Why Women Actually Give Assholes the Time of Day

One of the biggest mistake people make is assuming that it's asshole behavior that makes bad boys appealing.

Now to be fair, it is an understandable mistake to make. Guys who are frustrated by their lack of dating success often look at the singular causes for their failure especially when it feels as though they've been following the path that society and pop-culture had told them to follow.

Instead, what makes bad boys more attractive is the behavior that tends to exist alongside the more negative traits. It's not the asshole behavior that makes the bad boys attractive- it's what they do that nice guys DON'T.

For Example:

Stop me if you've heard this one before: a shy nice guy has a crush on an attractive woman. He spends weeks trying to tell if she likes him back. Then...after days of building up his courage he makes his move.

That, of course, is when he discovers that she's dating someone else. Not, mind you, because being an asshole is attractive but because they didn't hesitate.

The problem for so many nice guys is that they are afraid of rejection. They refuse to make an approach until they are 110% sure they'll succeed. They'll dress it up in any number of excuses- they want to wait until the moment is right, they don't want to make it weird- but it all comes down to the same problem problem: they don't want to take the risk of getting hurt.

Meanwhile, some asshole whose interest starts at the cleavage amd ends at her crotch rolls up on her, and while the asshole may as well not be as good of a match for her as the dogged nice guy, he still is the one who actually asked.

The asshole may not like her as much, but he actually took his shot. The nice guy doesn't get a chance because, frankly he never got in the game in the first place.

551

Most Helpful Guy

• Well then, I hope I won't hear any woman complain again that "all mens are assholes" and "chivalry is dead" or "nice guys don't exist".
    If you're attracted to an asshole, face the consequences and shut up. And most importantly, never go complain and cry on the shoulder of the nice guy, because you'll forget about him anyway as soon as the asshole will vaguely apologize.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Girl

• This isn't really true. Most girls go for bad boys over nice guys because they're attracted to the air of danger and mystery. Nice guys don't have that, so girls pass on them, even when they have everything going for them. The author of this wouldn't give a nice guy the time of day if he begged her for a month, so I don't think their problem is that they don't ask girls out.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 50

• I'm super confident and come off as a player/asshole that's arrogant, caveat is I am a genuinely nice guy (which women say they want to change a bad boy to). But I'm mgtow now and don't give a f*ck as I am indifferent to it all now, why? Because women are confused/messed up, schizo to a degree, they want a bad boy then complain that they are bad, well no shit, nice guys don't get them wet, bad boys do (biology - dominance), then you get a dominant nice guy and even then it's not enough lol, f*ck off... I get approached daily and I just hit eject/reject as women are messed and I'm tired of games, wasting my time (very valuable) and money/emotions on undecisive beings. This post is true and real, which is even more sad, whatever best to those still in the 'pool', I'm taking my fishing rod and six figure income and doing me, travel the world and do things for me, I will always value what I bring to the table and won't ever monkey branch myself lol cheers... I don't sugar coat anything, like it, don't like it, I don't care! Just trying to help... cheers.

• Half true. The other truth is that many women will reject the nice guy because he isn't "exciting" enough for her, women like drama and assholes (who in my experience are not so much confident as they are overcompensating for their internal fear of not being good enough) provide that. Further more I would like to point out that by your own admission these women go after the asshole even though he isn't a good match, doesn't that speak volumes about women? That they will accept a proposal from an asshole while ignoring the good guy (because that's generally what it is) simply because the asshole asked first? I mean you talk about confidence and the nice guy not taking a chance, but what does the woman do? Sit by passively because she is to much a coward to make a move herself and as a result she ends up with an asshole guy who could not care less about her, by your own admission. Doesn't that say something about women? Now generally I would agree that men need to be willing to ask more HOWEVER women have made that increasingly more difficult for men. They now refer to any man who approaches them that they feel they are above as creeps and they let every one know about it thus tarnishing the reputation and ego of the man. its not a simple not interested its an attack on his reputation. They can also accuse him of sexual harassment or what have you if he does not say the exact right thing. Women also say they want a nice guy, but then ignore him creating conflicting messages for the men, women and society in general have been shaming men for being men for decades and as a result more and more men are afraid to approach women. So again, I think this doesn't really say much about men but says a whole lot about women, and its not particularly flattering. The fact is women are biologically wired to want drama, a man who is emotional with a woman implies that he cares about her that he is still invested in the relationship, so assholes exploit this (either knowingly (players) or unknowingly (man childs aka assholes). I also think that part of it is due to women having in general beaten down men to the point where most men don't know what to say or how to act around women because it will inevitably result in him having his reputation destroyed or his life ruined, women do not have a good grasp on what is masculine and what is not so you get assholes who are exhibiting a pseudo masculine characterstics which women mistake as masculine.

• I think you're almost on the right track. Almost. The fact of the matter is that many assholes are driven people. Not only do they not care about women or rejection (which is attractive in itself) but they are also driven to be successful and oftentimes go far in life (which is also attractive)

• there's some truth in your words indeed, but you forgot something... what is an asshole?

it seems that men and women both have their definition for an asshole, for a man an asshole is someone who is a trouble maker, law breaker, violent, very aggressive and gives no shit about anyone... are there men like that? indeed they do exist.

but what is an asshole for a woman? its the guy doing his thing, not giving her his time of the day, not approaching her when she clearly sees he is confident and wants her, he is cocky and knows his worth and doesn't care as much about her cause he knows he can easily have her (not always true but thats how he acts) he isn't neccissarily violent or aggressive but he isn't someone she can tame and make her bitch.

in my honest opinion women do want the second kind of asshole, he posses all the good qualities while maintaining very little cons as opposed to the first one, its really a matter of calibertaion , and those who can balance it out will succeed.

• Paragraph 5 is spot on! Too many guys are focused on avoiding rejection at all costs... and rejection is inevitable!

The key for a guy to be successful dating, is to approach women ALL the time, and get rejected repeatedly , until rejection doesn't affect him anymore.

Unfortunately THERE IS NO WAY TO AVOID THIS STEP! Just go through this process and get it over with 👊

• Women feel attracted to three things:
    -looks
    -confidence
    -social status

Being an asshole one can fake confidence and high social status. And it also helps with looks.
    Female attraction is not negotiable, and women don't care about assholes, really. It is all about the feels. And when she feels attracted, she is yours to take.

• well I've noticed it even happens with guys... I myself also chase the ones that give me a hard time lol

it's because it give us satisfaction to 'fix' something... it satisfies us to have gained one step closer --> it's like achieving goals. you feel good

so we chase that feel good
    when there is nothing to fix aka good relationships, we lack that 'buss' that runners high you could say

• Oh I see...

• Trust me darling, I have no time to date. men want broken women with a problem and mediocre pussy. I don't have enough faults so I decline, thanks though.

• @azzntittiz it would be fun
      We'll take a vacation to Bermuda

You can get away from your everyday life a little and enjoy the beach, sun and just relax
      You know you could totally use that 😛
      Totally for sure

• I think it's mostly about looks. In most cases when a girl falls for an asshole, he is usually above average in terms of physical attractiveness and that is what allows him to get away with being an asshole.

Physical appearance is the most important factor that determines the quality and quantity of girls that a guy is able to sleep with.

• There are plenty of boring nice guys who became boring assholes, and still never get laid.

Nice guys who blame their "niceness" on why they have no game, are just doomed to celibacy.

• Just because you get laid or get a girlfriend doesn’t make you an asshole.

Going by that logic, every guy who’s ever been laid, had a girlfriend, etc would be an asshole.

You don’t have to be an asshole or abusive to get women, just don’t be a pushover.

• You've done a lot of typing on mainly 1 thing: contradiction, although i'm not surprised.

If you cannot see anyone but yourself in a relationship I feel sorry for you and your ego. You need a reality check.

• It really depends on the individual.

You cannot assume that every nice guy or bad boy is the same.

For all you know they could have a personality disorder which makes it different from your perspective

• I'm sorry, but this is 💩 The girl liked the guy that didn't think about asking her out, instead of the guy that did. How would she know if a guy thought about asking her out for 3 weeks? That makes no sense to me.

• If you have to be a A-hole to be confident then you're a piece of hot trash to begin with.

And I agree, that nice guys main problem isn't that they are nice, but that they're sissies.

Women hate sissies.

• Women give assholes the time of the day, till they get to know them better.

Then they realise they are not only as boring as everyone else, but also a waste of human.

• Nice guys confuse being confident with being an asshole.
    Nice women confuse being an asshole with being confident.

• The reason women like assholes is because they connect very well with them mentally/emotionally since they're all rotten inside and "assholes" themselves 😊

• That's how I feel about men. I think they treat garbage bitches better because they too are garbage humans.

• Sure Charlie, whatever you say.

• Yeeaahhh you know I'm right 😉

• What you gloss over in this take is that the hypothetical woman you describe has zero agency in deciding who she wants to date. In your model, the woman is a passive automaton, a blank slate, a cypher who is incapable of expressing interest in a man. That's a huge knock against women today, who claim to be in charge of their own lives. But I agree that it's better for guys to be up-front with girls.

What girls don't understand about why guys act like this is that we were raised to be respectful towards girls and to not go where we aren't wanted. When girls don't show interest in us, we make the very logical assumption that they aren't interested. "Bad boy" types tend to assume that they're universally desirable, which is narcissistic and delusional but is apparently attractive to girls.

• Because women love assholes. We already know this. Treat women like shit and they love you. No one is surprised by this. Least of all men.

• Well it is kind of a dick move to refuse to tell someone what time it is if they ask you. So I get it, its common courtesy xDDD

• More from Guys
    30

What Girls Said 4

• Low self esteem. It's easy to slip into thinking that Asshole is as good as it's going to get.

• This is so true.

• you have a poor understanding on how we are attracted but hey you are not Tyler you are a next door girl. i agree with the core message though.

• Most humans are more asshole than nice, honestly. Almost ANY man or woman can look like a jerk if you’re looking for reasons.

• Or in specific circumstances with no context to outsiders