Is a woman who identifies as a "feminist" a turn off or a turn on?

Do you subtract or add "points" if she answers yes to "are you a feminist?"
( obviously this is a question for guys )

• Turn off
    Vote A
  • Turn on
    Vote B
  • I am a woman here to see results
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|1

Most Helpful Girl

• I would really like to know which idiot decided to call the movement feminism and not gender-equalism or something like that. It would have made for a lot less misunderstandings. This question is basically like asking whether you'd like your girlfriend to be racist or not, with the difference that saying you'd like her to be racist wouldn't be as normal oder accepted as saying you'd like your girlfriend not to be a feminist.

2|6
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 16

• I'm going to say it's generally a huge turn off for most guys. Feminism isn't what it used to be many years ago. It's just a complete fucking joke now and it's gotten way out of control.

2|8
    0|0
  • I wouldn't date a guy who was against feminism and had this awful view that because there are some extreme feminists who are being awful human beings that all feminists are man-haters who think women are better than men. The people who believe that are just as detrimental to men's rights as the femi-nazi's and girl-stapo.

5|1
    0|2
    • This is a thoughtful and 21st centuryesque opinion, PROPS

• Show All
    • If you can't see the difference between a fact and an opinion then I'm done. I'm done anyways because there has been nothing new posted in this thread, just you repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating

• You're right, my points are facts, and yours are delusional opinions.
      Good bye.

• Geez, there's nothing wrong with being a feminist. I probably wouldn't date a guy if he was opposed to feminism. Feminism is the desire for fair, respectful, and equal treatment of women specifically, but really all people, genders, and sexual orientations.
    If a guy isn't into that, then that's typically a bad sign.
    The idea that feminists are all "man-hating lesbian hippies" is such an old definition. One that has always been incorrect. In fact, I'm pretty sure it was perpetuated by men who were threatened by the idea of women "taking over" which is such crap because that's not the point at all.
    Welcome to 2014.

*braces self for the onslaught of down votes*

8|3
    0|7
  • I don't care much for feminism. I just don't wanna have anything to do with misogynists. And just for the record, my definition of what misogyny is happens to be pretty narrow. For example, there's this one guy in my class who can hit on me and say that most women should be eradicated, sparing only a few for reproductive purposes, in the same breath. That's the one kind of anti-feminist I don't wanna have anything to do with.

4|1
    0|0
    • Well there's this feminist woman who says we should keep 10% of the population as males and rest to be killed off because - get this - testosterone is poison and men are "deformed women".
      Also there's the countless "The end of men" books coming out while women cheer everywhere.

• Show All
    • I can spend more if you want.

Oh hey! Look what i found :)
      www.femitheist.net/.../...tration-day-refined.html

• I got pages of this stuff...

• Men and women not attracted to feminists are extremely sexist. We wouldn't get on well, my vagina would jump off and run away from me and never look back.

Anti-femnists are close minded, racist, homophobic, est. So I never take it personally if someone is against feminism/feminists It's a huge red flag to their beliefs and personality in general.

2|1
    1|1
    • Lol, ok thank you for your input.

• Show All
    • To add on to your additional posts, if you ever read any of other answers on this site, I always acknowledge my privileged as a white person. I suffered from classicism, but being white gave me an advantage that I don't apologize for. Socially I have it better than minority men and women, however I still face social inequalities for being female. I would never want to trade places with you or a minority woman. In my world it has nothing to do with power, as a white woman I have more social advantages than minorities, even when I was living below poverty in a trailer park. That isn't power, it is injustice. Acknowledging the injustices and subdivisions we have in human society, isn't a factor of power, I would consider it an act of humanity.

• If anything you simply pointed out the hierarchy of the subdivisions that we have in our society. I've already explained that. Just as you have the light skinned vs dark skinned hierarchy in the black community. Just as activist groups against poverty mainly advocated for white people in poverty only. I'm using race as such a heavy example because I figured you would be able to understand. Your responses just show that you've ignored the womens movement completely. Black feminism exists, if you're so good at finding links, why don't you search on it?

Today the feminist movement is becoming more unison. Groups divided by class, race, age, ability, est are starting to unite.

• More from Girls

What Guys Said 41

• Turn off.

I agree with the core principles of feminism, but the feminist movement and the people in it tend to go against those principles, or they choose the least desirable way to act in accordance with them among many better options, and they also tend to have a very adversarial nature about them.

Being a genuinely kind and helpful person, they quickly misinterpret me as a "nice guy" and start being assholes. When they don't, they usually watch everything I do, just waiting for an opportunity to start an argument. If I manage to make it to the point of having a date with them, they tend to be steadfastly opposed to old-fashioned chivalry, which is something I enjoy. During the lunch or dinner, it tends to come out that she is some kind of vegetarian or has some kind of eating disorder. By the time the horrid date is over, they tend to get hypersexual, which is something I find repulsive, and they often become violent when I don't respond in the "yay, a slut!" manner they were hoping for. Even, by some miracle, we have been going out for a long time, it is pretty much inevitable that she will start spewing some man-hating or man-disregarding rhetoric she would be ashamed to utter in public around her likewise feminist friends.

While I agree with the core principles of feminism, I have also learned to stay away from those who identify with the feminist movement. They're nothing but trouble.

0|6
    2|2
  • I think it's a huge turn on.. I seem to be the only guy so far who thinks so at this time. The girl I'm talking to right now identifies as kind of a feminist and it's awesome.

6|3
    0|8
  • Maybe if she is a feminist in a country where feminism is needed, for example Iran, I would have a high respect for her. If she is a feminist in modern day North America, then it's a huge turn off. Most feminists today in modern countries are just man hating, cynical people who I wouldn't want to associate myself with.

0|7
    3|2
    • nah, i am talking about feminsits who complain about video game sexism and being proposed in an elevator for coffee = rape.

• Ya, so modern day North American lesbians. Huge turn off, like I said most of them are just cynical, man hating ass hats who I wouldn't want to associate myself with.

• Thanks to the new wave of radical feminists, or as I like to call them feminazis, any pride that there may have been in the past in being a feminist is almost no longer existent. While I know that these are a minority, they are also the ones that are shown in news articles and on Tumblr etc., and are also the ones pushing stupid laws like if a girl has consumed any alcohol it's rape (if the guy's drunk and she's sober and she fucks him it's normal but the other way around is sexual assault/rape?), or that a minor gets sexually abused by an adult woman and gets her pregnant then he still has to pay her child support, etc. etc.; they're the ones blaming all of society's problems on "the patriarchy" and "rape culture" and "victim blaming" (i. e. refusing to take responsibility) while trying to simultaneously say that they're fighting for "equality". The word feminism alone indicates otherwise, not a lot of equality to be seen there. There's a plethora of other things that feminazis do and have caused, and it's gotten to the stage where being a feminist (radical or not) has such a negative connotation to it that I can't find a feminist attractive anymore regardless of how I felt about them before. I know countless guys feel the same way too. Even the results of the poll show this.

1|3
    0|1
  • If a woman identifies herself as a feminist, I'd avoid her like plague. I wouldn't want some kind of false charges slapped on me because of the 'twisted' ways in which feminists' mind works.

The word 'feminism' itself spells trouble for men. I'm all for 'equality' of the genders, but totally against 'feminism' which advocates only 'selective' equality for women (that is, they want everything to be equal when it benefits women more, and in other cases they want things to remain as they are).

Contrary to what most women believe, 'feminism' is NOT the same as 'gender equality''.

0|5
    2|1
    • "Contrary to what most women believe, 'feminism' is NOT the same as 'gender equality''. "

Those who benefit from a hate movement are usually willingly ignroe it's flaws.
      KKK, nazis, etc

• 'KKK, Nazis etc.'
      Hehehe, now this sounds hilarious, but its true! Only difference is that KKK and Nazis used violent methods to prove their points, whereas feminists do it in other ways. The intention remains similar, though.

• More from Guys

Recommended myTakes