Why does it attract more attention when a white girl dates an Asian guy than when a white guy is dating an Asian girl?

kaylaS91
I'm a white girl who's been dating an Asian guy for a little over 10 months. I'm really happy with him and am not in the slightest bothered by racial differences, but my friends and classmates seem shocked when they find out that my boyfriend is Asian. Likewise when we're out shopping or at a restaurant, I can't help but notice that we seem to attract quite a few stares. Am I over-thinking things, or is that mostly negative?

On the flip-side, whenever one of my white guy friends was with an Asian girl, or I see a white guy/Asian girl couple, they don't seem to be treated at all out of place?
4
4