+1 y

Are most parents overprotective of their teenage daughters?

Many parents are very strict regarding their teenage daughters and relationships. They often disallow their young daughters the freedom to date any person they want, and are intrusive regarding their privacy. This often creates a hostile and uncomfortable living environment for the young teenage girl, who will develop an animosity toward her parents. Many times, when the girl leaves for college, she will engage in an explosive display of debauchery, in an attempt to rebel against years of oppressive authority from her parents. This often manifests itself as excessive drinking, drug use, rapid change in apparel (more sexualized) and multiple sexual partners.

My view on the matter is this: Once a girl is around the age of 16, she will have no doubt developed a sexuality and will want to act upon her biological drive to reproduce. Men will notice her around this age as she likely has the appearence of a young woman, but will back off due to legal/social repercussions regarding her age. These social barriers can be a source of great frustration for both men and women, because we cannot act upon our attraction without being penalized by the vast majority of people who conform to social norms.

If I had a teenage daughter who was 16 and clearly physically developed, I would allow her the freedom to date whomever she pleases, she can make her own judgements regarding dating and if she makes a mistake, she can learn from the experience.

The age of consent has been rising across the globe. In the 1800s, the age of legal consent in developed countries typically ranged between 12 and 14. This number now ranges between 16 and 18. I personally believe 18 to be too high, and 14 to be too low. 16 sounds about right and should be instituted on a global basis. There are many 16-17 yo girls who have the appearence and demeanor of a young woman, and by my assessment should have sexual freedom.

However, this subject is clearly debatable. If you disagree with my postulations on the matter please voice your opinion.
1
2