Why is America considered one of the greatest?

Why? is it really the greatest on earth? Is it because of you make it, you really make it?

2347

Most Helpful Guy

• America was seen as the land of opportunity and the land of the free, so those with ambition were the ones that came here, and if you have ambition you will make great things.

BUT, America benefit really well after both World Wars. America was one of the few developed countries that fought no war in their own soil (besides Pearl Harbor) so there was no destruction, therefore, nothing to rebuild and spend money on. The rest of the world had to build many of their cities and due to the huge loss of money caused by military, they asked America for loans.
    Yes, America went to war, and spent in military, but not as much as Europe did. So this also created an advantage for America.
    America is the king of capitalism, and the world runs by that. Many countries tried to play the same game but failed (Spain, Greece, Italy, Portugal...).

• America had the civil war and the depression but those happened a while ago...

• @hypno-trip true, but I was referring to why America is today one of the greatest. After WW2, America became the most powerful country, mainly because of what I said.

• right I'm agreeing. I'm just saying america wasn't always like that, before ww2 it had war and difficulties too, so it's just a contemporary situation and yea

Most Helpful Girl

• I know this is going to be terrible wording, but in all the times I've visited the United States, it never fails to meet the world's stupidest people.

Just in this topic so far, here's what some Americans have to say:
    "But few have the freedome of speech"
    "Success breads jealousy."
    "If yiu dint live here than you don't understand the US."

I don't mean America is riddled with uneducated people, but also people easy to trick and watch them flop around searching for things to say to keep up with an intelligent conversation. So tell an American they're great and they will run with it because being prideful is what America is all about - and I say that in a good way. No country has more pride than the US. I could go on about other countries generalized faults, but this is a US topic, so I'm sorry if it seems I'm picking on Americans.

Just know that for those on the outside looking in, America is a disaster, no different than most only with different brands of problems. Just because America has "freedoms" doesn't mean they don't have a host of other problems that they seem to ignore.

But know I'm no America-hater. Some of the most beautiful landscapes, funny and generous people who are easy to talk to... but by god their chocolate is horrible and it's really hard to read what they write most times trying to get through spelling mistakes and bad grammar. Aside from the that, one thing that we (those not in the US) observe is that the American government is the world's bully. Obama comes across as a decent fellow, but by and large the US government seems to push their people in to believing that their scare tactics and mowing over other countries is what makes them great. It's great when the bully gets what they want, but what about others?

I think America has a lot of great things going on, but oh no, it's not the greatest. It would be wise for them to be a bit more humble to their neighbours around the world. That's just my opinion.

Tschüß!

• Sorry, under my quotes it should be:
      "But few have the freedome of speech" (my own spell checker caught that one LOL)

• Sheesh... "speach" LOL

• Their chocolate really is awful!