Opinions about dating a cousin?

What do you think about dating your family relatives?

2627

Most Helpful Guy

• If the endgame in life is to pass off your genes to healthy offspring that can flourish in society, then you're doing yourself a tremendous disservice by inbreeding.

• Not necessarily. Yes, inbreeding raises the probability of recessive genes expressing themselves and if those recessives lead to bad traits, yes, that's bad. However, inbreeding can also strenghten good dominant traits. It's been done for centuries - both animals and humans.

However, @asker needs to check her state's laws. In some states, but not all, it is illegal for first cousins to marry. Ironically, in about 100 years or less, the law will be antiquated because with genome maps we'll be able to predict if first cousins would have defective offspring.

• They already visit a clinic before getting married or sleeping together. My friend's engaged to her cousin and she's getting married in 6 months.

• @vjeejr

That would be a great step forward, but I'd take the over on the century mark. The United States faces significant impediments to social progress.

The chances of inheriting undesired traits increases, yes, that was my point. But if what you say is true then marrying your cousin could conceivably be fair game if the science supports it. That seems unlikely and there are always taboos to overcome.

Most Helpful Girl

• Absolutely disgusting. That's nasty. If it was normal, there wouldn't be birth defects and mental deficiencies as a result of it.