But now I'm unsure where to go from here; how do I regain her trust and pick up where we left off?
Most Helpful Guy
1. For one I understand the playful part but the eye
2. For a girl who has her dad hitting her (gruesome & horrid are understatements), trusting any man is quite an effort which she did with you
3. Even though one part of her mind says you didn't mean it her other part the fearful one will tend to fight it. So much so that even if you guys have a high decibel argument and your body language is oncoming she may react the same way
4. You have to accept that this situation may recur after a whole lifetime of being nice and kind to her. Bad childhood memories are one of the worst that tend to stay dormant waiting to pop up cause these are caused by people the victim tends to trust and look forward to protection
5. In this case the only thing you can do is be patient and persistent possibly for a lifetime. You can't wake up after 30 years and start up with how can you think this way when I've been so nice to you all these years. You need to be prepared to live with this :) This does not mean that she's damaged property :)2THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE