Would you date an atheist?

And what would you do if you found out that your significant other was atheist?

3353

Most Helpful Guys

• Yes , whatever someone else's believe is should not reflect on me providing they understand that I do like to pray and I believe in God

• Would you date an atheist? Not knowingly

And what would you do if you found out that your significant other was atheist? I'd break up with her. Even though this is unlikely, because a person's religion is something i make sure to find out on the first date (if not before the first date).

Why? Because its too big of a difference to have a functioning relationship. Not to mention that i have yet to meet an atheist that doesn't look down on me because of my beliefs. And it'd hurt to know that I'm being looked down on by someone i love. Plus, I'm concerned with what happens after death. If my life partner was an atheist, I'd be pretty lonely in heaven after we die...

• But if you didn't find out before, that means it's no big deal no? I can get that you wouldn't want to have fights about it though. That's the reason I couldn't be with a religious person myself.

• @JuicyBrain
      I don't understand your first sentence, because i said that i never go out with someone without knowing their religion first, and if i do, then I'd make sure i find out on the first date. So yes, it is important to me.

But I'm less concerned with fighting, than i am with being seperated for eternity after death.

Most Helpful Girl

• No. Most of the atheists I have had the displeasure of meeting (save for one, ONLY one) are condescending and look down upon me for my belief in God. The only one who didn't is a close family friend who is actually becoming more spiritual. Anyway, I could neither live in nor tolerate a relationship where someone looked down upon my faith. Granted, I am not the most devout Christian, but religion still holds an important place in my life and heart.

Even if they didn't mind my beliefs, I have a strong desire to raise my children in my religion. This would generally be easier with a person of my particular Christian branch. Overall, it's unlikely I would ever date an atheist, much less marry one.