Would you date someone who drank a bottle of wine before bed?

3447

Most Helpful Guy

• This is incredibly common, and in the grand scheme of things is not that much.

A bottle of scotch before bed, THAT would be a problem.

Most Helpful Girl

• No, I would not. That's alcoholism.

I found myself falling into that spiral a couple years ago and it's not a good thing. It starts as a glass of wine a night.. then two... then half a bottle... then a bottle... and next thing you know you can't remember the last time you went to bed sober. Don't fall into that kind of lifestyle. Get it under control now so that you can continue living a normal life and being able to have a few drinks here and there with friends, instead of having to quit altogether because you can't control it!!!

I realized that I was developing a problem and thankfully I caught it early enough. I don't drink very much anymore, but I am glad that I'm capable now of just having a few drinks every so often socially.

What Guys Said 46

• Almost every night? Probably not. One glass of wine almost every night? My current girlfriend drinks one glass of wine most nights.

• that is called alcoholism... so I would be very weary about getting into a relationship like that. Alcoholism if not addressed is a slippery slope that will consume one's life and make relationships hard if not impossible to maintain

If I really cared for the person I would work hard to try and get them to seek help but I probably wouldn't date them seriously until they were working to clean up the habit

• No, that would be an indicator of other problems, not to mention drunk people are not as fun as they think and your liver is going to get shot real fast drinking a bottle before bed with any kind of frequency.

• 1 bottle is only 4-5 glasses of wine.. How is that considered a lot in 1 sitting? Esspecially if its shared between 2 people during a date.

Logic.

• lolz... dude... a botle every night is not healthy.

• The question was drinking a bottle before bed. Drinking half a bottle (sharing) on a date is not a whole bottle before bed.

And a standard 750ml bottle is 5 standard servings. Over filling a glass doesn't count as a single serving when determining whether someone has a drinking problem. 5 servings of alcohol a night is considered a very high risk for alcohol dependency.

• that's a lot of alcohol in the bloodstream... but i support your endorsement of unhealthy behaviours..

• Only if they use the right straw.

• Entire bottle?
    Every night?
    It's gonna be a helluva short relationship lol
    I'm gonna be bringing the fun to her funeral. Realfun

• A glass of wine a day with your meal they claim is good for people

• if we could split it but then again that only be 4 nights a week tops. Been a year since I'm past my get drunk before bed phase. I was in a dark and lonely place. Still lonely don't need alcohol to compound that feeling

• What's the matter? Wine is healthy. I would drink a glass of wine daily if it wasn't so expensive.

In many dates, we have drunk wine.

• I did that for a little while... ugh. That was a habit not meant to last more than a week.

• I guess your not Italian or Polish. That is not a rare occurrence.

• Every night means they are an alcoholic.

• if its everyday no

• Lol maybe not every night

• As long as they handled their drink, sure

• You can either have your wine bottle full or your wife drunk.
    I'd prefer the latter before bed.

• No, I don't want to be vomited on

• No way there is no point in dating someone like that

• A whole bottle? I don't think so. It can only get worse.

• A glass but not a bottle every night.

• An entire bottle every night? lol no that's a bit to much, a glass a night or something like that ehh I could live with that.

• Are we talking daily or is this a one off event?

I had a roommate (male) in college to drank two bottles of wine then passed out at his computer with his pants around his ankles, face down on the keyboard, with anime porn on the screen. He was a nut job but regardless wine is some sneaky stuff; it'll wreck you real quick.

But back to the question at hand; if it was a one off or every now and then thing sure. If it was every night then it may get annoying real quick.

• Yes I would.

• I'm not sure I'd love to date an alcoholic / addict...

• A whole bottle? Whoa!!! I can understand a few glasses, but a whole bottle? Does she do this every night? I might still date her, but she seems to have an alcohol problem. I'd get her some help so that she's still there.

• Wine is nice but a drop or two can go a long way. A full bottle at one time seems like the actions of an alcoholic I would say she needs help.

• Nah. She has issues if she does it EVERY day.

• Like 2 to 3 glasses over 3 hours 3 times a week or so. Sometimes 4 on a weekend night but over a longer time span.

• Still a lot of wine for me.

• @asker 2 glasses 3 or 4 times a week is different than 1 bottle every night !

• a bottle? like every day? well i think i´d do it but i´d want to help her with her alcohol problem.

• Nope. Especially if it's every night. Why is she or you so dependent on that?

• A bottle? No. That's a bit much. If you mean a glass, then sure.

• More from Guys
    16

What Girls Said 33

• A whole bottle of wine? That sounds like a serious problem and likely is not healthy for your body or your mind. It sounds like this person would need to sort some stuff out before we could consider being together. A glass or two is one thing, but a whole bottle? No way.

• Depends why they drink it... I wouldn't be totally put off but if they were just doing it because they were depressed or an alcoholic I don't know if I'd want to date them as much. Seems a bit excessive, no need to do that every night.

• I don't think drinking is bad unless it leads to other problems. So it would depend on how that affected the person.

It seems though like people overestimate the effects of a bottle of wine. A regular-sized bottle is just four or five glasses. I serve that many drinks to plenty of customers who still act totally normal and respectful. Nobody should drink that much before they drive or work and it's probably a bit much to drink every day, but it won't cause any problems for most people to drink that much a couple nights a week.

• I enjoy my wine and I'm not an alcoholic. I can drink three bottles a day for a week straight then go months without wine and not miss it.

• If he does this daily, it is too much.

By that, I mean "too much to be healthy.'', not "too much to allow you to function normally and live for decades."

Uh.

• Are they going to share with me, or 0.0 :s?

• Not if they drank a bottle of wine before bed everyday, not on a special day or alone. A bottle of wine is excessive, a glass/1-2 beers sure. Alcoholism is a very hard vice to break.

• Sure. Just because they drank a bottle of wine doesn't make them an alcoholic. However if they do this every day or night I would have to consider

• Not really, I'm always up for a glass of wine but an entire bottle? By themselves? Seems to be a beginning alcoholic so no, thanks..

• Hahaha I'm pretty sure I wouldn't feel comfortable with that. o. O
    What went wrong in their life? Obviously they aren't satisfied...

• I personally couldn't since I think that would be considered alcoholism. It's an illness but one that comes with consequences like cirrhosis etc. Once in a blue moon yes, everyday no.

• I would not date an alcoholic no

• By them self, every night? No way!

• no i won't

• No. Sounds like an alcoholist.

• No, I would not date an alcoholic.

• No they have alcohol problems

• Yeah thats fine.

• As in every night, around people as an alibi? No. I knew a girl like that, she was in denial.

• Yeah, if they share it with me.

• no because that is way too excessive. a glass is fine but otherwise that person obviously self-medicates with alcohol

• Obviously NO!!

• Yeah why not.

• probably not because they have a problem.

• Sure, we can be drinking buddies ha-ha

• The whole bottle? Hell no. That's irresponsible and expensive.

• No, I don't like people who have crutches

• If it was every night then no. Seems like a bad habit. Every now and then is okay

• Never would I date someone like that

• I wouldn't. But I know quite a few military wives that drink an entire bottle of Moscato before bed while their husbands are on deployment. :/

• More from Girls
    3