Interested in a new guy I've recently become acquainted with, but he thinks my best friend and I are in love with each other. We're not. Advice?

Anonymous
I met this new guy (Mitch), who isn't in my usual social circle. We both just recently joined an organization in my university, and are starting to get closer. Over drinks with a few friends one quiet night, I told him a bit about my past--more specifically, about my best (guy) friend (Dom), who also happened to be in the org.

Mitch and I were sitting alone talking while Dom was with a group of friends. Dom had had a family crisis, and so left earlier than usual that night. He said his goodbye to me, and as per usual, we said our round of farewells and I love you's (this is normal for us). As Mitch and I were talking, I happened to bring up an old story of how Dom had once drunkenly called me at 2AM, and pleaded me to be with him, while regretting his decision to get back together with his then-girlfriend (I had a boyfriend at the time and Dom didn't remember the events the next morning, and did not recall this conversation ever occured). I also happened to bring up how I'd previously had feelings for Dom, but they've since long passed.

Mitch is trying to convince me to try things out with Dom. (Dom is currently pining after another girl.) But little does Mitch know, I've started had feelings for him for about a month now. I've only built up the guts to start investing in him now, but he's still under the impression that Dom and I are in love with each other, despite my best efforts to desuade him. I told Dom about it, and he thinks the best solution is to be honest to Mitch about my feelings. I'm afraid that if I do, it will ruin our friendship. What should I do?

Background on Dom: We've been absolute best friends since high school, and are very close in a sense where others who aren't familiar with us have the may think we are an item. This is probably because we're very affectionate and playful with each other and at times, innocently flirty. We also refer to each other as boyfriend/girlfriend, but only in a joking way.
2
1