I don't know what to do, please read this and help me... was I wrong?

Anonymous
Im 19, and I've been moved in with my boyfriend (24) for a while now and today, I came home to wake him up after my university because he said I could. I shook him back and forth to wake him up and he began to yell at me (its not unusual for him to yell, he has a short temper). I kept asking him to get up, I didn't see that anything was wrong with that... then he yelled at me some more to stop bothering him, he got up and pulled my hair really hard. I started to cry, because Im a very emotionally sensitive person ( I tend to cry a lot) then he went away from me to take a shower.
When he came back I was asking him how he felt and why he was upset, I just wanted to fix the tension that was between us, I didn't have any intention to annoy him... he kept ignoring me so i kept asking him to answer me on whether he wants to be with me or not, while putting pressure on his hands... He then lashed out at me and strangled me, I could barely breathe, I felt like I was going to die. I couldn't face him for a while after that and when I tried to fix things again, because I love him, I wanted to reason with him to let him know that what he did was unforgivable and that he should be begging me to forgive him, but he said that he didn't do anything wrong and everything he did was "self defence" against my "assault". When I asked how I had assaulted him, he said that I didn't go away when he asked me to and that I hurt his hand while asking him to reply to me... My head hurts, my neck hurts, I can't even swallow water without feeling any pain and remembering what happened but there isn't an exterior bruise on my neck (probably interior)...
This is not the first time he had done this he broke my phone 2 weeks ago because he got angry, he snatched it out of my hand and threw it across the room.
He has bruised me before, but its always been my fault according to him. Because I made him angry..
I don't know what to do, I know I should leave him. But Im in love with him
+1 y
If I leave him, Im going to be living alone in a foreign country, I feel safer when he's with me... Im here to study, but there aren't any dorms.
+1 y
I also want him to realise that its wrong to act like that... No matter how hard I try to explain it, he never understands it...
6
1