Friends say it was a date, he told me 'thanks for hanging out'. Not sure how to read him now. So was it a date? Or is he losing interest & changing?

Anonymous
I am 30 and have 2 kids. I haven't been on a date in almost 4 years. A guy friend who I've known for a year but from a distance (not really close friends) asked me if I wanted to go do something the other night. I said yes not thinking much of it. He picked me up from home, we went to dinner and a movie, he paid for everything, opened doors, etc, real gentleman. We talked about all kinds of stuff and then he walked me to my door and left with a hug (my sister who was watching my kids was right there so it was awkward). We had been texting for about a week before this, and when I thanked him later he said it was an awesome time and hoped to do it again. We've been texting since, no more than usual. Except today when we mentioned the movie we saw that night and he said "thanks for hanging out that night." It threw me off because my sisters and friends said it was definitely a date even if he didn't call it that. But then he said "hanging out", which makes me think he really isn't all that interested but just wanted friendly company and is naturally nice. Dating is foreign to me right now, I'm very traditional and cannot read signals to save my life. He hasn't mentioned a second date (if that's what it was) but it's only been 3 days since we went out, aside from saying he hoped to do it again. But if he said hanging out, it's not really a date to him is it? Just friends enjoying the company?
2
1