When to tell family about new bf? When did you?

Anonymous
Hi, I've never dated before, a week ago my friend told me he wanted to be more than friends & I said yes. He took it rlly fast at first, saying I love you etc things that were sweet & romantic, but way too fast for our first 24 hrs! So I asked him to slow down, he agreed.

I already met his family, who he's close to, & he's met mine a few times. Today he texted me saying his aunt has extra tickets to smthn & she wanted him to invite me. So, that confirmed to me that he's already told his family, incl extended fam!

I don't mind it at all, its just that I haven't told my family yet! I've only told my brother, 1 of my sisters and brother-in-law. My family's not strict on dating at all. In fact, they've been wanting me to get a boyfriend forever! They've bugged me about it for years, and I was always like "no, no cute guys at school"Bc I'm a private person & don't like to talk about these things. But I don't want to keep it a secret.

My family will be 100% chill about this. They'd actually be super excited. I guess I'm just scared? What if we breakup? I know a lot of first relationships breakup, and though I'm not tryin to go into this with a pessimistic attitude that its gonna inevitably end, I want to be realistic & not get caught up and hurt bc its a total surprise. In that case, I'd feel so weird telling them it happened bc I wouldn't want their pity or to harp on it as I know they'd do. I also feel like, its still surreal? Bc I've never had a boyfriend, its just an unreal feeling. I know its intending to be a serious relationship, but what if it ends up not & it doesn't last long? Then I'll excite my family that I finally have a boyfriend & then its over?

I also can't not tell em, bc I live with my mom, she'd have to know. And I talk to my extended family all the time. And I can't wait for it to be rlly serious, because then it'll be so late, and they'll say "Why didn't you tell us sooner?" So I really don't know. What do I do? When did y'all tell ur families about ur partner? Thanks!
0
3