My co worker told me this guy likes me but I don't really see it?

Anonymous
I recently started a new job as a waitress. Everyone there was friendly, but one guy (let's call him a). He was really quiet around me and didn't talk to me at all. He would just say one or two words. Although he would randomly do random things like introduce me to customers. Then another day he got extremely protective over me in a way. This other co coworker (let's call him j) asked me for a cigarette and I said no. he asked again and a was standing next to me and got between the convo and got defensive to j and said she said no. Then told me to tell him no. He will randomly touch my back. He does that to a couple of other girls, but how he acts around them is just in a non sexual way. He talks to everyone there in full convos except me. One of my girl co workers who I became friends with told me yesterday he liked me. i asked her how she knew and she just said he asked about the new girl or whatever. One the same day my manager asked me if I had a boyfriend and what his name was? I then said no, but I'm talking to someone. He then asked if it was (the guys name at work) and I said no his name is john (which is true). I just thought it was weird how he would throw around that guys name.
The guy slowly talks to me a little more, but it's just random questions about me here and there, but it is very calm that it scares me.
Other things I noticed:
when he is talking to customers he knows, and when he is near me he gets really quiet when the customer is talking to me or paying their bill. The customer is also extra friendly and nice (not in a fake way, but like something is up)
He is only obnoxious around other male co workers. He was talking to another guy about this girl he chilled with and then decided to FaceTime her right there at work, telling her how beautiful she was. But it was literally a 2 minute FaceTime
He is nervous whenever he stands near me or whenever I look at him.
I mean if he liked me wouldn't he talk to me a lot? I'm confused

1
1