What should I say or do when a guy friend/ ex complains about his current girlfriend?

Anonymous
My guy friend, also an ex (we dated for a few months a while ago but stayed friends) has been recently talking to me about his current girlfriend. Since I know him, I can tell he's not happy.
So many different issues, from her being incredibly jealous to him wanting to just be a guy and hang out with his friends.
Last time we spoke, he told me that he's almost ready to break up with her. He also said that everything he does, he has to be very careful not to upset her because he doesn't want to argue or fight with her. When he tells me those things, I usually say nothing because I feel that if I told him what I really think ( leave her, man!), he could think I want him which I don't.
So I'm wondering if there is anything I can say or do? I honestly think they shouldn't be together but how can I say that? Should I even bother going there?
What should I say or do when a guy friend/ ex complains about his current girlfriend?
Add Opinion