Would you date someone with a different taste in music?

Would you have a serious relationship with someone with different music preferences than you? Why or why not? Please elaborate if you chose answers C or E.
I'm wondering just because I personally connect a lot more with people who agree with me when it comes to music. I guess I would also love to be able to go to concerts with my future SO as well. Maybe that's just me though (I really love music if you haven't already picked up on that lol)
  • Yes--I don't care what music they like
    Vote A
  • Maybe--Depends on how different it is from mine
    Vote B
  • Most likely not, with a few exceptions--Depends on other factors
    Vote C
  • No--I wouldn't date someone with bad taste in music
    Vote D
  • Other
    Vote E
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

2|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I would always prefer dating a guy with similar music taste to mine so we could enjoy listening to the music together, maybe going to concerts together also, or at least that a guy wouldn't find my music taste meh. But it's not a thing I would consider a turn off to refuse to date someone just because of that.

1|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• It would be one down on the doing things together list. But plenty of other things around to enjoy. Could make us a bit less compatible but certainly no dealbreaker.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• I'm the type of guy that listens to Bach in the morning and switches to The Offsprings during the day, and probably house music in the evening or hip hop. So unless she's listening to shranz or dub-step I could survive. I think dub steps sounds like The Transformers are having sex lol

1|0
    1|0
    • Haha--interesting (but hilarious) take on dubstep!
      And brownie points for listening to The Offspring.

• I've never been as obsessed with music as most people seem to be. Yeah, I have my own taste in music, but I honestly only listen to music when I have nothing better to do anyways.

The only situation in which I'd see it being a problem, is if she was into rap or country (the only two genres I hate with a passion), *and* she was the type of person to play her music all the time - and hum it to herself when she isn't playing it.

1|0
    0|0
  • I voted for A but I can't be with someone that complains about my music. I'm into Alternative music, heavy metal, rock music. And I remember this guy I had a crush on and we went somewhere together and he complained about the music I liked.
    My boyfriend and I have a few interest in music which is totally fine.

1|0
    0|0
  • Do opposites still attract?

We all can't be similar because then it'll be boring. The point of having differences is that we can try and change each others opinions and engage in differing discussions!

I like sweet... He likes sour etc.

1|0
    0|0
  • Its really hard to because I love music and hate when he doesn't know what songs Im talking about. But I'd still date him

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't mind if they have different music tastes. They could possibly introduce me to new songs which I may like or I could introduce them to new songs.

1|0
    0|0
  • My boyfriend and I have very different tastes in music.. by which I mean I actually have taste when it comes to music Hahaha he listens to top 40. It's almost embarassing but I love him so fuck it

1|0
    0|0
    • It's funny, a lot of the profiles I see on dating sites mention how they mostly like country music and top 40. And generally when they say country, 98% of the time it's Luke Bryan, Florida Georgia Line, and other garbage. Never Johnny Cash, Hank Williams, Waylon Jennings or actual good country.

• If said person thinks metal is 'agonizing screaming' I honestly don't see how he's gonna tag along to concerts or deal with long car rides..

1|1
    0|0
    • I hate when people say that shit. They're like the singer is so angry or all it is is screaming and blast beats. As if EVERY metal band is a death metal band.

• Show All
    • Sounds like a song Rammstein would write

• Pretty accurate.

• My last boyfriend loved metal and hardcore music, which is not my taste of music at all. But it was not a problem at all, as he just listened to it when I was not there and he was able to hear other stuff as well.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's something I cared about more when I was young. It's not actually that important at all now. Music is generally something you listen to solo anyway.

2|0
    0|0
  • Music is a very big deal for me, but I could date someone who is into something that I'm not into. Besides, that doesn't mean you can't suggest songs to them. ;)

1|0
    0|0
  • I'm more concerned if they are into board games and similar TV shows and movies that I like so we can do that together. I mostly only listen to music in the car or when working out.

1|0
    0|0
  • My boyfriend likes rap, which I absolutely hate, and I'm more into pop/rock. We just don't listen to music together, and if we do, like on a road trip, we just play whatever's on the radio

0|0
    0|0
  • I really like hip hop and it would be cool to date someone that liked it too but I wouldn't care if they liked different music I would just tease them about how bad their music is. I would hate if a girl like country though that's the worst.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes but it might get frustrating. I usually date guys with at least one genre of similar music taste. Overall my heart aches for musicians.

1|0
    0|0
  • As long as I wouldn´t have to listen to their music I couldn´t care less.

2|0
    0|0
  • Yeah. I don't care.
    Pretty sure my boyfriend doesn't like what I listen to haha

1|0
    0|0
  • Yeah I'd date someone who had different taste in music.

0|0
    0|0
  • I would not date someone who is obsessed with music; esp if they have the habit of blasting music/ using speaker/ high volume

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes but then again my taste is broad and the only type of music I don't listen to at all is screamo

1|0
    0|0
  • Yeah, i can't see why not, not much of a big deal to me

0|0
    0|0
  • I like all the genres of music so it won't be a problem for me unless it's metal then no

0|0
    0|0
  • Music is life sooooooo i would nevr d8 a guy who doesn't like my style :/

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah, though it'd be nice to turn them on to my tastes in music

0|0
    0|0
  • That is an impossible question for me lol. Nobody likes the music I like.

1|0
    0|0
  • Well I like pretty much all kinds of music, it's not a big deal.

0|0
    0|0
  • Unfortunately I have to. Not a whole lot of people my age into soul music.

0|0
    0|0
  • I am generally not attracted to women who like lamb of god so I have to accept it

0|0
    0|0
    • There's been more and more hot women at lamb of god and other metal shows as of late. The times have changed a bit.

• Yeah, they can expand your tastes

1|0
    0|0
  • I wouldn't want to force her to use earbuds.

2|0
    0|0
  • absolutely , as long as they had an open mind

1|0
    0|0
  • yeah they can listen whatever they want

0|0
    0|0
  • sure...

0|0
    0|0
  • wouldn't make any difference.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah as long as they had other things in common with me. I don't expect them to be exactly like me.

That being said, just because a person has similar music tastes or other common interests, doesn't mean they're right for you. That's not to say a person with similar music taste IS bad for you. But, I dated a girl who had a lot in common with me. We were both into metal and horror, but the problem was she was newly single, blew hot and cold consistently, played me, only to ditch me in the end.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yeah obviously. I don't care about their choice of music. I have a question, do you prefer guys to shave everywhere including legs rather than being very hairy?

0|0
    0|0
  • Depend, if I doesn't like his taste I wouldn't want to listen to it at all but he should listen to mine (in the car, my music show and doesn't said my music is bad)

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes