Did you ever date someone who kept showing off their wealth?

So yea, I went on a date with a guy who keeps showing off his wealth. Im really put off. He works as a lawyer and obviously makes a lot more than me (im a nurse and med student) but throughout the whole entire date he kept going on about money!!! It was so boring and draining lol. He recently celebrated his birthday at a restaurant and whatsapped me the receipt showing he spent $200. I was like uhhhh you could've just told me, there wasn't a need to send me the receipt lol. Anyway I haven't contacted him since because I didn't like him after that. Has anyone had experiences like this? What do you think makes them brag about their wealth all the time?

• Yes
  • no

1821

Most Helpful Guy

• Money in a relationship is extremely important. The number one reason for divorce is over money.

I am quite wealthy, but when I am in certain situations, I tone it way down. I have a property out in the country, where people don't have a much. I NEVER take my Jag, which cost more than any house nearby, or my Mercedes there, only a nice, but not over the top Ford truck.

It is true that a significant percent of women find wealth attractive. I do the opposite of what this guy did. I don't seek out expensive dinners for the sake of being expensive. (I have flown dates out for $100 hamburgers, but it is for the sake of how cool it is to fly to lunch, not how much the avgas cost). A first dinner date is always a money test. What does she order? If she orders the most expensive thing on the menu, then we are going to have a problem because she does not know the value of money. I don't think your guy knows the value of money either.

My gfs know I am rich, but what that means to them is that I can help them out, they can do things they can't afford to do on their own, and most importantly, I help them get control of their own finances. We spend a lot of time talking about her money and how to manage it, and no time about mine.

Your guy is obviously proud of his achievement, but he needs to be more subtle about it.

• Yea unfortunately he's not my type of guy. I was raised to work hard and not rely on a guy for money. Plus, I also thank the role models I have in my life who got me where I needed to be in life and to never take things for granted. Hehe med school has always been a dream for me :) And yea, I agree with you-money is the number one thing that causes divorce. The money test thing on a first dinner date is quite interesting. In fact I never knew that. When I went out with a guy for lunch or dinner in the past, I always kept in mind his financial situation. As someone who has a lot of pride (I hate to admit it lol) I've offered to pay for both of our lunches and dinners in the past. It's just manners to me. But yea, def agree, he needs to be more subtle about it lol

Most Helpful Girl

• I've dated people like this and it's a huge turn off. I get they are trying to impress their date, but it just comes off as poor taste.

• agreed!!! Glad im not the only one who feels this way lol.

What Guys Said 20

• He did that to try to impress you and to try and make you like him. I met and hung around girls who bragged about money. What ever floats people boats.

• it's a trend. guys have started posting their bank balance as their tinder profile.

i mean it's just another way to try to dominate the vaginal marketplace lol. It's kind of a throwback to a bygone era where women didn't really have access to making good money or parents that would support them financially living alone in a big city with freedom. now, most girls got their own and even if its not a whole lot they're not desperate looking for gold. on top of this, i think a lot of women find it borderline insulting on a number of levels including that a guy is pushing that he's so much more succesfull. i've found you get a lot further supporting her and being a leader (if you make a lot more) instead of trying to prove superiority with a 200 dollar birthday. a 200 birthday isn't even that much. yes, having a great job with a lot of money makes a woman feel secure. you just have to be more tactful than this guy about it.

• I'm gonna try that bank balance thing

• that was a perfect answer! I love it! And i had no idea guys started doing that on tinder... well i tend to stay away from those websites anyways lol.

• I dont blame you. I don't think most women would like that. Unless they are gold diggers. he's over compensating for something

• Thanks! I thought I was going a bit cray cray at first. I guess mainly because he always never thought that something was wrong with his behaviour. He also tends to send me selfies (not rude ones, just normal ones of his face going on trips here and there). I think I've got 70 photos from him in total lol. Not all of his face thank goodness

• Sound very insecurd but does it matter? he's still a waste of your time ya know? I don't think he'll ever change.

• He doesn't realize it but he is operating under his 'lower self', the part that craves material and physical objects, is never satisfied and can never be truly happy. He has a void, a spiritual one but since he has no connection with his 'higher self' he is over compensating by trying to fill this spiritual void through physical means. He is living only as a physical vessel and has forgotten the power of his spirit, inner self and soul.

• lol. That's really funny. I can guess he's really talkative too. It's not even wealth. It's just money. I think he's showing signs of Narcissistic Personality and can be a disorder. Or perhaps maybe (just maybe) he's just new to these things?

• Many people can be willing to have a rich partner, but when he show off this, they just feel cold to him and usually break up, early or late. If we ask anyone; hey do you wann have a wealthy bf/gf? Nobody say "No". But the people who always show off this just make veru boring and generally they are very selfish people. And even you if you be with them, they dont have personality to share their wealth with you, anything they treat you, they can show off your eyes a lot, or talking this too much. Nobody can bare always someone tell him how favor he do for you. :) :)

• Not exactly. Usually they don't shut the fuck up playing the victim card, blabbering on about they've been done wrong by EVERYONE, to play themselves up as being a perfect princess. That's only been a few, but its still exhausting as hell...

• And you get a big up from me for being in nursing. That's one of a handful of trades where I've come across the most genuine, empathetic women. Lady soldiers, cops and EMT's also...

• He sounds immature and insecure.

• Females try to brag about how independent she is, and thinks somebody is trying to take advantage of her.

• Lol no I Have no desire to be with those kinds of people.

• Only if it was by buying me lavish gifts all the time...

• Greed and self centered. They try to impress with what they can give you and think that it matters. Horrible person

• I would not want to.

• $200 isn't even a lot.

He's not rich.

• He could have been complaining about how much he spent. "The world may never know"

• That all girl want any way so why not. Guys get noney for prerty much thst reason. And other ones

• I show off. I'm like "Hey, want to get some chips and soda to watch a free movie on TV? I just got my refill of food stamps." Yeah baby. lol :P

• Nothing says that you have to date him. So just move on.

• yes myself

• not really I've meet some girls who's families had a lot of money and they never really bragged about it or tried to show me things , although they did mention trips to exotic places they were going on but other than that very quiet about things

• Rich kids always do that

What Girls Said 17

• Yea... I don't like guys that brag about anything.
    "Tell me what u brag about and I'll tell u what u lack off"
    I think he, or anyone that brags are in reality insecure about something but cover it up with wealth, power, strength ext

• Yes and it cringed me out no end, I'd be embarrassed with his attitude and attempts to be flashy came off as trashy.

• 200 is not so much that you can brag to that extent , but he sounds ridiculous , like nouveau-riche or something lol.

• I don't blame you for being put off! Prime example that money can't buy you class. Showing someone a recipt is awafully gauche.

• I know right! I understand it was his birthday. But he could have just said "oh yea, i celebrated my birthday at a restaurant" like most people would say... not take a photo of the receipt!!! lol

• No he didn't come from money. I used to admire him for getting to where he is today, but i guess money ends up changing people eh...

• Nuveo riche

• I dated a wealthy guy (who I am still friends with) and he was very humble. He never boasted about the money he made. He had to work his way up to where he is today. I guess it all depends on their personality. Sorry you had to deal with that :(

• haha funny thing is, this guy i dated also had to work his way up. But unfortunately, the money changed him i guess. You're lucky to have met someone like that! And yea, I agree, depends on personality :)

• God such a turn off. Ask him to take you for shopping next time he shows off lol #BeingSerious.

• lol, this made me laugh so much!!! Thank you for your input!

• Lol yea
    Funny though I had more monney than him but didn t make it known like he did.
    Usually guys do that thinking they can win you off
    They are good providers
    Successful etc...
    And a lot of girls care about wealth and status so...

• instant turn off

• Yeah. I have but showing a picture of a $200 receipt? Wow, that's over the top.

• He's trying to impress you - he is not trying to belittle you - that is my opinion anyway.

• Nope. It would make me uncomfortable and I would also believe they don't have anything going for themselves besides their wealth.

• No I never was impressed by those types.

• ya, worst time of my life. and it wasn't even his wealth -_-

• lol $200 is not even that much.

• I'm a poor grad student, so no. All the men I'm surrounded with are paying out the ears for our education so we're not rich... yet. :)

• Never dated someone that rich

• Hell no. My boyfriend is a white, straight, christian, wealthy male going to business school with parents who spoil him to death and that's almost too much for me. I'd die if on top of that he started bragging.