What does "let's be friends" really mean?

So me and this boy have been talking. He liked me before and I've liked him then too but things didn't work out because I thought he didn't like me and we stopped talking but we got back together recently. School has been really busy for both of us and it got overwhelming for me so I wanted to end it with him but he kept saying maybe and I'm not sure. He can't give a straight answer and he has rejected someone before yet can't seem to just reject me. I asked him what he wanted to do and he said "let's just be friends at the moment and not label anything." What's does he mean by that? If he's not interested then why can't he just let me go?

Most Helpful Guy

• Means he is processing his life and emotions.
    Do not be worry this is natural and trust me this is even a good sign. He sounds mature enough to ask you to not take everything so fast so quick to create regrets right after. Specially when you are both very young, emotions are unstable, the growth process and personality developments can cause lots of changes in your favorites, feelings and desires. He is taking his time realize if he really likes you and what he is really doing with his life. What would be his next move. So requesting you to be friends till he recognize his next step.

The question of "Why can' he just let me go" is also wrong. He didn't trapped you. He wants you to be friends. You are free. If you wanna let go of him if you can't wait for his further choices and would want to date others you are free to do that but for now he needs time and space to find himself and life.

Most Helpful Girl

• He's not ready to take that major step yet and would like to be friends first and not rush anything. This is the best and wisest decision. He isn't holding you prisoner, you're doing that to yourself for saying it. I would never even consider a person I don't personally know as a friend and I do mean as 'friend's'. There is A LOT I would have to evaluate before I decide if you're worth a future with. He has to see how you really are as WHO you are without offering up 'your best self' just to please him as a dating partner. He needs to know what's he's getting into. And that means knowing and understanding everything in your life before he says that you're qualifiable to date romantically.

But if he seems like he truly doesn't know what he wants, don't hang around and move on. And just tell him that you can't be waiting for him to make up his mind. Now if you really want to be his friends and is willing to see where it will lead, then okay. But if your the type that has to date immediately, please don't waste both of your time. However, looks and physical attraction are the far least important. If you two are not compatible or you don't want to continue pursuing then go. You don't owe him anything except for your reasons.

What Guys Said 2

• Either he is not interested and doesn't have enough testosterone to man up and say it, OR he wants to keep you available as his Plan B.

• "I'm not attracted to you" OR "I'm too nervous to reveal my major attraction for you". He probably doesn't find you attractive.

What Girls Said 2

• For 1 way or another not ready to have a single relationship with you. Be careful he could end up being with someone else in a few months.

• He is not interested in forming an erotic relationship with you. He enjoys your company and he prefers being friends.