Why do so many girls still expect the guy to pay?

I would make exception, like if the woman was a student or not working, but it wouldn't be hard to find women who earn more than me. So if we are supposed to be equal, or at least working towards it, why would a woman with a good job and her own money still expect a guy to pay.
We might wonder if you're really interested in dating the person or just up for a free meal or drinks.

33

Most Helpful Girl

• the way I see it, making an agreement like both pay half, or you pay this time she pays next, it should be an equal thing. not you taking her to a fancy and expensive restaurant, then her paying for a cheep burger for you, or her taking you somewhere expensive and you buying a cheep burger for her. it should be more of an equal thing if your doing the "I pay this time you pay next time" way.

Most Helpful Guy

• Some women expect the guy to pay because they say that they need to know that the guy respects her by paying, and that the guy cares about the woman and wants to get to know her better by asking her out.

This couldn't be any more lucrative, since dates are meant for two people to have fun together. Not to prove anything to anyone like these girls claim that they want. By showing that you like the girl or are attracted to the girl by paying for dates, women will see that you value them more than they value you, and will lose respect for you, ironically.

If you want to pay for a date, make sure you build up an attraction between a woman so that she would actually care to pay for herself, and so that you have a possible chance of a relationship later on. Do not pay for women on any other circumstances.

What Girls Said 2

• I think it's usually traditional girls who have that expectation

I prefer to spit the bill. I like to pay my own way. If he insisted on paying, then I'd insist that I pay the next time.

• Because that's how it should be. No way I'm paying for my own meal when I'm with a guy!!!

• I know what happens but I was wondering why? Why is that the way it 'should' be. Some of the suggestions is that women are exploiting men. Some say that you cannot get a girl to respect the fact that dating is a shared activity and that women can only raise the (perhaps false) expectation on the guy's part that he will recieve some kind of return on his investment. Others say that women will never achieve full equality, in the work place when they take such a passive role in society.

• So it seems that what you are saying, allow me to interpret, 'cause you dont say this directly is that men and women have set roles that we have to accept for all time. Men pay, women receive payment.
      You insist on the man pays, that is your choice and I won't argue with that. This is not personal. This question waBut you haven's designed to make us think beyond our personal experiences (as for me I'm not single, by the way) and to think more about why.
      You made MY point that women like you can afford it. You are making a supply and demand argument. That since guys you go out with always pay, why should you put your hand in your pocket. That won't suit all women or men. The tradition (that's what it is) is based on mens' traditional economic power over women. That's gone. What's left? A silly outdated tradition that once devalued womens' time and attention as an economic commodity and now allows men who are weak enough to be exploited by anyone looking for a free dinner.

• yes, of course I'm making a demand and supply argument, what's the problem with that? That's the only reason why this expectation still exists, because men enforce it. if all men stopped paying, or even just the majority of men, then no woman could demand it anymore. I mean, sure, they still could but they wouldn't likely get a man to pay. but the reality is that pretty much EVERY man pays for women. I mean, I even got male friends to pay for me and I didn't even ask for it, they just insisted. So of course I'm gonna say yes to free stuff and save my pay check. And I will do my part in ensuring that this social expectation that men have to pay will continue to exist for a very long time.

What Guys Said 2

• Because that was the social norm forever. Why would they want it to go away?

• Because men are like slaves while women are the masters in our species... Women have evolved to control and dominate men, while men have evolved into servants