Is having the same politics a dating requirement for you?

Would you ever date someone with differing political opinions. like an conservative with a liberal for example.

1614

Most Helpful Girl

• That is definitely a requirement.

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 15

• I wouldn't say it's an absolute requirement but yes, I would prefer to date someone with similar political views as me. In my opinion, political views says a lot about a person's overall values and belief system so some of those things would be important to me to share with a partner. Especially since I do have fairly strong political opinions and I voice those opinions often so, having a partner with totally different views would probably lead to tension in the relationship.

• I wouldn't date someone who's opinions on social issues were vastly different from my own, because that would mean out values are completely different.

But if his ideas about what constitutes good government, the appropriate level of government involvement in our lives, etc are a bit different I can deal with that.

• Ehh, kinda. If we disagreed on things like financial issues, it wouldn't be a problem. If we disagreed on things like abortion or marriage equality, then that's bigger and I wouldn't wanna be with someone who didn't feel the same way I did.

• In this day and age? Absolutely, avoid the bloodshed before it starts. No need to hear things like "the fucking crybaby libertards" or " hypocritical ignorant mother fucking bible thumping conservatives". That's just asking for the relationship to fail tbh.

• As long as he is not too strict about it.

For example if the candidate in his party is wicked he should be cool enough to vote for the other party if that other one is not.

• I'll presume that wicked means crazy. what if he/she doesn't consider that to be true.

• As long as both parties are fine and he won't harm others then yeah he can pick whoever he wants. Wouldn't bother me. It would bother me if he is too into politics though. As in prideful of it. It is good to know what's going on in the country but not good to be something like a fanatic.

• Tried to date Liberal men and it just didn't work (like they eventually did at their jobs). Not saying all Liberal men are lazy, just had bad luck and judement calls on my part!

• I've dated liberal women before and I've found them to be very self conscious and dramatic. I'm conservative myself. I'm sure a lot of them are not though.

• My top priorities for a man was to be headstrong, financially stable (enough for himself/future family), and take on traditional roles (as I would too). Finally found that,(and he just happends to be far-right). I see marriage, kids and 'a picket fence' lifestyle for us.

• that sounds good, my girlfriend is the same actually. she isn't far right but she has good morals and same goals of marriage as me.

• no it is not he can have different views

• Yes, it's.

• Eh on some things we can differ but overall, especially in today's political climate, I couldn't date someone who was too far off in my political views.

• isn't people's inability to accept opposing views the thing that is creating this unhealthy political climate?

• I have higher standards for someone I date than someone I merely hang out with or am around. I expect to see eye to eye on most things with a partner.

• not really but I would hope he did have similar views

• it's not a requirement but I'm someone who is very into politics and I don't know if I could really get along with someone if we were dating who has opposite views as me!

• noooooooooo

• I think that depends on what you mean by "politics." I don't think "politics" in terms of "detailed opinions of specific policies" need to match up exactly, but certainly belief systems should be similar. And I think most people feel that way - they want someone with a similar belief system to them.

Having the same belief system doesn't mean you agree on every policy, but it means your core values and motivation behind political opinions match up. For a very very basic example, if I say "I care about children so they shouldn't have homework because it's too much work for them," and you say "I also care about children but I believe they should have homework because it will help improve their minds," well even though we don't agree on homework at our core beliefs we both care about children. So I think that relationship could work. But if I say "I care about children so I am against homework" and you say "I am in favor of homework because I HATE children," well, that's probably not gonna work out in the long run. (Very basic example but hopefully you get the idea).

• Nowadays, yeah Id have to say so. It makes a difference. I really wouldn't date anyone who is loud n' proud about racism in general and we're seeing a lot of different sides now.

Never even took politics seriously until I grew up and found out how utterly damaging corruption and brainwashing is.. I learned brainwashing from marketing classes and realized its not exclusive to marketing.

• I mean, it really depends. What really matters to me is that they are pro-life like me. Other than that, I do not care.

What Guys Said 13

• Same political views isn't a requirement, but if we're polar opposites, it would be a problem, so I'd prefer someone more or less similar.

• Me and my girl have wildly different political views. It doesn't mean we don't work well together.

• No, because it could not possibly work.
    She would consider me to be evil incarnate and I would consider her to be a delusional idiot, ill informed and a traitor by default.

• No not necessarily. As long as they are rational.

• Yes, I couldn't date a dumb ***** who voted Trump.

• Not a requirement at all

• Politics ruin perfectly healthy friendships. Fug'em.

• no but it has to be similar.

• Most definitely a requirement.

• why is that?

• Completely different beliefs would only cause us to resent each other, thus not making a relationship work out.

• Not date but I'll prefer my wife to have same political view otherwise we will have problems.

• Don't care about politics. Just can't date a closed minded idiot.

• I don't care and this topic kinda bugs me tbh

• I think its something that happens to match in most cases. Because it takes a certain person to vote for a certain politician. For an example, if somebody is a Hillary supporter, they have to be completely retarded. So normal people will usually avoid them (even though they don't know who the person voted for). And chances are, normal people will not be with them. But if the person runs into another Hillary supporter (meaning another retard), they will click in other fields too