My girlfriend puts me down all the time?

I love my girlfriend to death but it seems as though she finds any opportunity to poke at my ego, criticize my cooking, looks, driving.. everything I do seems to irk her and make her call me out for it. I could handle some teasing here and there but it's a daily thing for her to tell me that I'm not good looking or that I'm not the best boyfriend and whatnot. She isn't just joking lightly either, she seems to mean it. Is this a toxic relationship or am I just being a drama king about it?

1615

Most Helpful Girl

• Honestly, pardon me being harsh but you're girlfriend sounds like a total twat. It's one thing if you're joking around but if she's constantly shitting on you I think she has personal issues and isn't fit for a relationship if she can't can it. I think you need to tell her off, quite frankly, but if not that then talk to her and tell her she needs to stop or get single quick.

• I agree she's being a twat, but I love her a lot and would hate to lose her. But you're probably right about her having personal issues. It might be best if I work with her through them or suggest she get help. Thanks for the reply!

Most Helpful Guy

• You should have ditched her long ago. You should be examining why you think you love someone to death that makes enemies redundant. A partner is supposed to have your back, lift you up, bring you up, inspire you and support you, not put you down, destroy your self esteem and belittle you.

You are in a bad, abusive and toxic relationship but for some reason you are afraid of leaving.

One thing I will tell you. I would not put up with any of that crap for even a minute. In fact, I couldn't imagine a girlfriend even daring to even try because she'd know it would be over!

• I suppose you're right, I just don't want to lose her.

• I don't know, this is my first serious relationship and maybe I'm being thick headed and scared of giving it up. I may have some self esteem issues and that's the only reason I'm staying with such a twat. Thanks for opening my eyes, mate.

• Listen to @truthasanycost
      He's 100% right.

What Girls Said 15

• This is SO SO SO unfair, i don't think you deserve all this stress... a woman is supposed to respect their man no matter what, my man cooks and cleans too sometimes, but if puts too much salt why WOULD I CRITICIZE HIM?

Honestly, she is too much and if i was a guy and if i was in your situation, i would just send her to hell !!!

You deserve better

Good luck

• This sounds like she's emotionally/verbally abusing you. If that's the case, you need to break up with her because that's not a healthy environment for you to be in and no one deserves to be treated like that.
    This is a toxic relationship and you're not being dramatic anyone that tells you otherwise are being jerks.

• Thank you, I'll consider it, though I'd much rather work things out than just end them. I appreciate your answer and I agree, I think she's being somewhat emotionally abusive.

• Ok. If you want to work things out, then you need to firmly put say you don't like what she's doing and if she continues you'll leave her. If she doesn't want to work out her horrid behavior and is fine with you walking out, drop right then and there. She is ungrateful and doesn't deserve you.
      Tell you're not playing any mind games and anything that comes out her mouth is confirmation what she thinks even if she says otherwise. You want to work out your relationship and she thinks it's fine to play mind games and to drop hints. She is playing you at that point.
      If she says she'll stop and goes back to her horrid behavior a few weeks later, drop her like a sack of potatoes. She deserves no sympathy from you and even she cries don't console her, leave her.

• Yes that is a toxic relationship.

If nothing you do is good enough then why the hell is she even with you? If it were really the case that you were really that shitty she would leave. But it's not.

For whatever reason, she like exercising control over you and she likes the power she has over you..

No one deserves to be treated like that. You need to be honest with yourself and ask whether you really love her - the person she is now and the way she treats you - or if you're still stuck on the person she showed you when you first fell in love...

My brother was in a similar relationship and it left him a shell of the man he used to be. Thankfully he got out and he's now with a woman who respects him.

Don't let it get that far. Take your dignity and walk the fuck away.

• it's toxic. your a person and deserve to be treated as a person. either talk to her to chill out on what she says to ] and of you or you decide if your going to continue to be in that situation. there's a lot girls out there that know how to treat a good guy...

• Break up with her BEFORE IT GETS WORSE!!! Not only will she ruin your life but she will also corrupt you and over time destroy your relationships with your children and your ability to relate to others. My dad married a toxic woman and he is miserable and he takes his misery out on me.

• Toxic. Your girlfriend shouldn't be talking down on you on a daily basis. Thats disrespectful, and you deserve someone who would treat you better than that. No offense but she sounds like a bitch

• Your girlfriend is an abusive bitch. Bail out on her.

• That's messed up in my opinion and you should probably talk to her about it or dump her if she won't quit. Joking around occasionally is fine but all the time? Not cool. You deserve better.

• Mentioning some things here and there isn't thatI bad, but if you constantly have to nit pick then that's not a good relationship

• She is a toxic bitch

• Dumb that hoe

• I think you should tell her exactly how you feel and say you don't like it. So she can stop already honesty.

• You need to find self worth and lose that trick. She's no good, and you deep down know that. You're 18, find someone worth it.

• Don't you know that your love is toxic

• I'm a natural born critic, I critic myself as well. maybe its just her personality? I try not to make everything perfect myself and its so rough biting my tounge. the Virgo in me, on the other note. I don't purposely put my boyfriend down. he's said multiple times he'd like more of a boosting from me and compliments but he's already very conceded so I stay clear. his head is big enough and when I get too nice he starts acting funny. just depends on the person really.

What Guys Said 14

• Even teasing has a limit. Talking negatively and pushing down somebody constantly right to their face is an abusive behavior.

She is just using you. If you're so super awful as she says. Why she stays? she is using you and taking advantage of your feelings and trying to boss you by poking you mentally. Dump her and free yourself. I am sure you are even a better person without her.

• Fuck that cunt. Time to pull up your man panties, tell her, "You've gained weight and my second side chick, the one who's not your sister, gives better head anyway," and leave her to one of her beta orbiter back burner guys.

https://i.imgflip.com/vy42u.jpg

• She doesn't have a lot of respect for you, and has low self esteem of her own. This isn't a good situation here Action Jackson!

• Why are you with this girl? She is blatantly disrespecting you dude. Grab your balls and dump her ass. She is unstable anyways and I can guarantee that. Watch her become obsessed with you after you dump her.

• Toss her to the curb

• Get out of there, dude. This isn't healthy for you.

• Let her know she's gone too far otherwise she thinks it's fine and will continue.

• Well, do you or did you have a strong ego?

• I wouldn't go as far to call myself egotistical, but I mean, I'm a pretty confident guy without being too boastful, though I've been going more and more into my shell with her.

• I don't have any more of an ego than the next guy, but that could be the issue. She takes it a bit too far sometimes, so I have my doubts about the ego downgrading haha

• so she would want an upgrade? that is a strange way to give someone an ego boost, if she was in the army or something i would have understood, but i just think she might be going through a phase, i assume when you met her she wasn't like this

• It's toxic for sure. Leave her like yesterday.

• Does she get to be on top and make you call her mama during sex?

• bc she hates that u do something better than her

• Here's what you do, take her in the back room and fuck the gobshit out of her, then make her take it on the face. That ought to balance it out 馃憣馃徏

• And honestly it's probably what she's trying to get a rise out of you for in the first place

• About four months, met her mum and dad too and they were pretty high class folks. Maybae it's her personality and how she was raised.

• Ah, it's not too late then. We've been together for 8 years now, I couldn't be rid of her if I threw her in the river lol. I'm afraid she'd come back and haunt me 馃槀

You're young, probably a strapping stud so don't be too keen on wrapping up so quick. There's oceans of women out there so if this one bugs the shit out of you go have another or a few.

• Sounds bad. Did you ever talk to her about it?

• she's not happy in the relationship, maybe looking for a way out