How do you get find the confidence to walk away from a long term relationship?

I've been with my boyfriend for 5 years. This isn't the right relationship for me. He isn't the right guy for me. I've known since the first year that he isn't mr. right. But I'm still here.

I'm here because what if I can't find anyone else? What if I end up alone? What if I miss my chance to have biological kids?

I'm so scared. I'm so scared of walking away from something that I absolutely need to walk away from. This relationship is no good for me. He's emotional ally abusive and I recognize that but my fear of being alone and the fear of the unknown is keeping me around.

How is can I find that confidence in myself to walk away?

40

Most Helpful Girl

• You won't be alone. That's always the biggest fear. You will be alone and gain confidence. Confidence is sexy.

I thought like you when I left my 10 year marriage. More guys hit on me than ever after the mourning period. I felt so much better about my life and myself.

You will not be alone, I promise.

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 3

• If you aren't engaged/married you are free to walk away! You deserve true love and true love isn't abusive.

• i think that when you get out from a long term relationship is hard bc you're not only afraid of not finding someone but also afraid of loneliness. you can start by asking for some time separated as a first step and the second step would be breaking up. you can do it, you'll be fine , recovering is harsh but it's never as bad as you think.

• and you'll find someone , don't worry about that. keep your hopes up , don't be negative. there are so many guys that you need to meet

• Have you told anyone he is emotionally abusive toward you?
    Sometimes talking it out with someone and hearing their POV can help you come up with ideas.