How do I get my dad to accept the guy I'm dating, or at least be polite about it?

I'm dating a guy in my grade and my dad doesn't seem to like the idea. He is a super nice guy and treats me great, but every time I bring him up my dad kinda seems off. I want to be able to go actually go out with this guy but if my dad doesn't like him I feel like he will make me stop seeing him... what can I do to help him win my dads approval?

214

Most Helpful Guy

• Fathers are NEVER going to like ANY guy that you like!! They know what guys think, and like, and want to do with you, so of course, they will HATE any guy, even the nicest nerd!!
    Talk to him, and tell him how much you like this guy, but listen when he tells you that you probably won't even remember this boy 5 years from now.
    If you must date him, know that your did will probably want to talk to him, alone, privately, and basically 'Set the Rules for his Little Angel' (a. k. a. Scare the SHT out of him, so he treats you properly!!)
    Respect your father's rules, and curfew, and build some trust, and just MAYBE, he might learn to trust and like this boy that you like. . .
    Fathers are always super-protective of their little angels, so just know that, and make sure that he can trust you, and that guy, and he will come around.

Most Helpful Girl

• Dads are very protective, especially of their daughters. Maybe you could invite your boyfriend around for dinner one night so your parents can meet him properly and realise they have nothing to worry about.

What Guys Said 13

• Is there a reason your dad doesn't like him? He's got the most important quality -- he is nice to you. That's what your dad should focus on. You are 15, you are going to want to date. Sorry, I don't know how to help your dad be more comfortable with this. Maybe try to get him to give you specific reasons why he is concerned.

• That's what parents do, especially when you live under their roof.
    your mother may intervene if she finds the guy suitable.
    but what you are dealing with is human math.
    And human math is more difficult than any math you can learn in school.
    with your dad, it could be that he might remind him of himself when he was younger, and maybe it's not sticking a good cord, or being a guy himself, he could see something, a trait, or characteristic that you may not be able to spot.
    Who's better to know about a guy, than another guy.
    but you mother could be the voice of reason, in that she know what you see, with you being her daughter, she knows what it is that could be attracting you to him. just like you father may have an insight on your guy friend, your mother has the insight on what you're seeing. to make things more complicated, imagine if you had a brother, the roles would be switched.
    I know it seems difficult no, but as you get older, it will begin to make more sense.

• Tell your dad that he is a nice guy. If he is your first boyfriend, that might be why your dad feels awkward. It might take a little while for your dad to feel more comfortable.

• Have your dad meet him.

• Wait two years.

• Well if it's serious enough ask him to meet your parents and have him impress your dad.

• It won't be so easy especially because dads usually hate men interested in their daughter

• You're 15, he won't last. Always trust your parents, they know a little more than you.

• probably cause your dad knows he's a fukboy aka he's after one thing whether you accept it or not

• Introduce your partner to your father

• Respect your dads rules.

• Do you know why he doesn't like him?
    Is he a specific race or religion that your father doesn't want you to date?

• Tell your dad you're already having sex with him. :)

What Girls Said 1

• You're 15. He doesn't like the idea of his little girl dating. Don't worry about it. Just date who you want, your dad will deal with it in his own way.