Guys! Do you ever get possessive over your female friends without actually dating them?

Been friends with this guy for over a year and even though he has a girlfriend ( which he is going to break off with soon ) he gets really possessive about me. He woukd ask me to wear less revealing clothes and forbades me from playing sports infront of the other guys. We are not even dating but he has dropped countless hints that he is definitely interested. What is he thinking?

Most Helpful Guy

• Like a lot of the other guys, I'm protective of my female friends, not possessive. I know this app has a worldwide reach and I'm not sure if there are some cultural differences going on here. I'm an agnostic white American male. I can't even imagine telling a woman how to dress or who should be around if she plays sports. I would consider it to be rude and disrespectful for a guy to say those things. I understand that there are different beliefs about these things in different parts of the world so maybe that is normal in your situation.

What Guys Said 21

• I've been possessive before... she was my supervisor at a job i got but she loves wearing them little short dresses and i used to be like "its not proper"... and she called me grandpa...
    yea, its possible. but when a guy does that, it doesn't necessarily mean interest.
    most of the time, its just a prevention. because what she is doing is "attracting" /"attractive" to males, and they can feel it, except, because she is a FRIEND, they warn instead. Because if THEY can feel it, there will be some other moron that feels it and has No self-control.
    So they warn, and they get possessive.

• he obviously likes you. but if he wasn't dropping "I'm interested" hints, I'd say he thinks of you more as a sister. I have Sisters and female friends I'm not interested in who I do some of those things with. Im protective of them and don't let bad guys around them. but I think of them as Sisters.
    it's possible he likes you, but you want to make sure you're not misinterpreting these hints you believe he's giving off. also see if he's protective over other female friends. lol or if he is an older brother with Sisters. but yeah if the hints are legit, he likes you.

• If he has a girlfriend then please don't date him even if he breaks up with him. I am damn sure that he is looking for a rebound in you. finally, it is your decision. all the best 👍

• No. The only female friends I have are immigrants, and their morals and values are top notch. There's no reason to worry.

• Sounds like he's into but being that possessive and controlling isn't okay even if your dating.

• Oh my gosh yes... Like all the time. Especially if I secretly like one of em. which seems to be the case here for your friend.

• That 'friend' is keeping you as a back up for when his relationship fails. Pardon me for sounding cynical, but if his interests were genuine, then he would be with you, not her. Secondly, would you really want to date a guy that has a girlfriend but is expressing interest in someone else? Bare in mind that if you ever become the girlfriend, someone else will just slide into the position that you currently occupy.

• i dont get possessive but i get protective of even females in general like if a stranger was trying to hurt u i'd step in

• Nope, because I intentionally pick unattractive female friends so I won't develop feelings for them.

• LOL yes.. and i hate it

• I only got possessive over one woman in my entire life, in not sure why though she didn't like me like that

• He may like you. I am possessive over a few of my girl friends just to be friendly. I have a girlfriend.

• Nope, neither do I become possessive over the women I do date.

• He wants you but is too much of a pussy to make a move on you.

• No. I just want to befriend you harder than all the other guys.

• Female friends sound like a lot of drama

• No (well, I should hope not).

• going through it, right now

• he most probably, would have feelings for you, as I did for my friend

• a little bit.

• no... why would a guy want to become posseive over women... women are just for fucking in the modern western world. Total fucking assholes

• Only if I see a guy trying to take advantage of the girl that's my friend.

What Girls Said 1

• He is probably trying to be protective of you. It doesn't necessarily mean he is into you