Religion and dating?

If you are religious would you date (or marry) someone who isn't or is committed to a different religion? And if you're agnostic or atheist would you get into a serious relationship with someone who is religious?

626

Most Helpful Guy

• Im agnostic, and don't mind religion in general, in fact i make it a habit to try and experience as many as possible, and gain a level of understanding about all of them, in answer to your question, i wouldn't mind it, but i'd rather go for someone who isn't religious or isn't too fussed about religion. the reason for this being i want someone who i can connect to and get to know personally, now there's nothing to say i couldn't with a devout Christian or Muslim, but there'd always be that barrier there, it'd always feel like religion is a big focus of the relationship. doesn't mean it would be in real life, i've never dated someone whose heavily religious, so it might work. I wouldn't date someone who was intolerant to my beliefs though, nor would i want someone who'd try to convert me to a religion.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm atheist. I'd be cool with dating someone religious as long as our beliefs elsewhere didn't clash and we could respect each other's religious decisions. It could be problematic when having kids though.

What Guys Said 25

• I'm atheist and married a Buddhist, though not the most serious one. A devoutly religious girl, especially one who wants me to convert to her religion to marry her, is going to be a no-no for me. If she's not so devout, doesn't need me to convert or go with her to mass or whatever, and we get along well, I don't see the big problem.

• I'm a atheist and my girlfriend is christian. She said she's not allowed to be with a non believer but aparently she doesn't care :P. But her family and comunity would mkea big deal about it I think. I don't really care if a girl is religious as long as when I talk to her I don't feel like she's a fanatic or irrational etc.

My girlfriend is smart and open minded and tolerant and hungry for knowledge, hs many interests which are all things I think are important and I like about her. Also I feel like she's not 100% convinced by the bible but she does believe in god.
    She was raised very religiously but now when she studied at university and is on the internet etc. She has been exposd to different perspectives and cultures and facts so her view has changed a bit.

If I felt like someone was not thinking for themselves, was a fanatic or just simple minded then I would definitely not find them attractive. So I am open to religious people but not every religious person ^^.

• It isn't impossible, oddly Muslim and Christian marriages and relationships with Muslim women and Christian men are becoming quite frequent and common, there is even a moment in the US that helps people from those two religions get married, because generally pastors, priests from those 2 religion won't marry the 2.

It's not at all impossible you just need to talk things over, figure out what to do and were the family will go direction wise and such. The mistake is jumping into it and then figuring it out while your doing it, that's what causes strive and struggle.

Of course that's just me, I am not really capable of thinking that it's impossible because I know from what's going on in the world and experience that it's not.

• I am agnostic and I wouldn't mind dating someone religious as long as she's not a religious nut lol. There should be mutual respect.

• I have my own view on religion as neither religion being wrong or right, but just different approaches towards the same aim and destination.

Thus if that person is open minded about her own religion and accepting my views - then I don't see an issue. It's definitely something that needs to be dealt with early on though.

• It really would depend on how fervent they were about their religious beliefs. If they are agnostic, atheist, of a different church, jewish, muslim, etc it really is no problem to me, just as long as they don't try and convert me every week.

• The one thing that must be agreed, as far as I'm concerned, is that the relationship (and any subsequent children), must come first.

If not, the differences between us might be too great for it to survive.

• im nothing... fuck religion.

• Depends how religious they are and what religion. Like if they like the general morals of a religion and believe in the god thats fine. But like if their morals are incompatable with mine (as an atheist) such as hating gays or waiting till marriage (not a problem on the second one just not something I want in a relationship) than no.

• I can tolerate it.
    But I'm not getting into another relationship with a girl who lets her beliefs about premarital shit interfere with the whole dynamic.

• Wouldn't care what religion she is, but I want her to be liberal about her religion. Don't want her to take her own religion too seriously.

• Don't know if you believe in God at all, but...
      If you don't take your religion seriously, why bother at all? If it's just another preference like... "I like cheeseburgers better than hamburgers", why even claim to believe in anything?

• i can accept other peoples views even if they dont reflect my own. soo i dont see where the issue is

• I don't really care if they're religious, love always wins

• As long as the children are raised in the Catholic Church and only the Catholic Church, I'm fine.

• NO. Too much of a difference in beliefs and too many arguments I'd rather not deal with. Let the atheists stick to atheists.

• i would date is she was open to my religion.

• religion doesn't matters in relationship either way

• You don't think it might cause problems?

• But what if they believe conservative and you're liberal? Wouldn't it be an issue if you both are opinionated?

• for a better relationsip , someone have to get down for another or else der wil b clashes. so, it can soughted out u just hav to b patient

• I would obviously.

• I would date them a few times for fun, but no marriage at all.

• yes no problem

• I'm catholic, I fell in love with a girl who's atheist.. we are together but it worries me that we won't be allowed to get married by church

• Yes, it can be very good.

• I'm a christian. I might if they're not christian as long as they're not against my beliefs. I hope they would at least believe in God. I'm not a bible basher or judgmental freak. Some different religions might clash. And I don't think being with an atheist would really work.

• you know... if you had posted as yourself... i... would... torture... you.
      do you really believe in it... or were you just raised...
      and those are just starter questions... it goes deeper...
      into You AND your book

• @Tdieseler I know who I am. Not just believe in it

• i care about religion. i date girl of only my religion. and do you think athiest even think about religion

• As long as she milks me regularly and well... I'll convert to whatever religion she wants! xD

What Girls Said 5

• I think if the 2 are VERY attached to their religion (or atheism or whatever) it's basically impossible.
    It wilk clash at some point. For example when it comes to the kids or the general lifestyle.
    One of my Christian friends is currently having this very same problem with her very atheist boyfriend.
    If the religious persons are not very practicing or the atheist person is not very anti religion (more of an "i don't really care mentality ") it can obviously work.
    I guess it can also work with people from different religions as long as one is more lenient than the other. But it's hard and in some cases impossible.

• by the way I'm Muslim and the guy I currently like is a Deist (not religious but believes in God) and his roommates are Muslim.

• @Elissadido I need to chat with you. I will send a follow request and when I reach xper2 then I want to chat with you about this same topic. hope to get your help soon.

• Im Christian and prefer to date a religious person. I dont care which religion they are as long as they also believe in God. Our children will grow up to choose which of our religions they choose to follow

• What would you do if your kid didn't believe in God or was gay? Would you be accepting of that?

• Im not worried about that. My child will believe and hopefully they won't be gay

• Hopefully they won't be gay? What would you do if they were?

• I honestly don't think I could simply because I've had relationships in the past where people have tried to convert me despite my constant rejections.

• yeah, no problem

• my religion doesn't let such thing