I choose to live my life the way I want and don't let anyone tell me otherwise, is what I'm doing right?

My dad and many other family members have commented to me that they do not like the fact that I date, or would marry a lightskinned/white guy. My Aunt and brother have commented on their disdain for it white guys and my brother has even gone so far as to say even dating mixed guys would be bad. My dad told me white guys are the number one rapists and murderers and that he prefers me to only date someone darkskinned. One family member commented that darkskinned black guys would treat me better and white guys will treat me very badly, I need to stop dating white guys and go for black. However, in my experience white guys treat me much better than darkskinned guys, are not rapists, and when someone tried to murder me a white male cop saved my life. So I wonder sometimes do I just date black because I'm half black or do I stay open and look for a connection, and at how the person treats me rather than race?

56

Most Helpful Guy

• Your family just has some really irrational views which you don't share obviously. I would date a guy you have a good connection with and you like, regardless of race, and if he's white hopefully you can slowly expose your family to a positive white person experience.

Most Helpful Girl

• Just remember. There's good and bad in all colours. Also your aunt/dad/brother aren't going to be stuck with whoever you choose to be with for the rest of their lives only you will. So you go with whoever treats you right and makes you happy. If that's a white dude than so be it. Don't let other people's ignorant hatred block you from being happy.

Ps as I am white haha we can clearly say the same for black dudes... they're more likely to rob you, rape you, murder you etc it's just bs stereotyping based on minority action.

What Guys Said 5

• From this outsider's perspective, your mind is being poisoned by some truly evil racist views. The world will never know peace while racism exists. But it sounds like you don't agree with them. You clearly know what's right...

• Follow your heart.

• Finding a connetion is way better than dating someone because of their race. Its up to us to stop being racial againts our humanity and start respecting one another. And than maybe the day will come were the racial word is forgotten.

• This is not about skin's colour, it's about your heart...

• It's as you said white guys will usually treat you better and that's coming from what I know since my ex wife told me that and she is black and I'm white and from what I hear most rapes are committed by black guys so date who you feel more comfortable with

What Girls Said 4

• It's your life, live how you choose as long as you don't cause deliberate harm to others. But yeah, it's your life and your right to choose what you want; you've gotta live with it, and they live with their lives, so maybe they should focus on that.

• We all have our preferences but I think the emphasis should be on what kind of a person someone is, what beliefs he has, how he treats you.

• "I choose to live my life the way I want and don't let anyone tell me otherwise, is what I'm doing right?"
    What a contradiction...

• At 26, that's how it should be!