Could you date someone that would rarely make their family a priority?

Like they didn't care about their extended family, grandparents, siblings, or even their own parents. Even to the point where they showes little sympathy when a family member passed away.

• Yes
  • No
Select a gender to cast your vote:

1320

Most Helpful Guy

• That is a foretaste of how they will treat you if you marry them. Count on it!

Most Helpful Girl

• Im close with my mom, her parents, and my sis... but I dont show much care for my extended family. I also wouldn't cry much if they passed away. However, I prefer to date someone who is close with at least one family member. And well... if he's own his own... then i'll become his new family

What Guys Said 19

• it would depend on their reasons for not making family a priority in their lvies

• No because if they act that way towards family they have a high chance of acting that way in a relationship. It just screams commitment issues

• No, the last thing I need in my life is a toxic, emotionless, self centered bitch.

• No, I'm very close with my family and I feel like a person like that has to have serious issues. I mean I would make an exception if I found out her family was horrible to her or something, but if they raised her well and everything then no.

• yes i don't have much contact with my family so it would be nice to meet someone thats in the same boat

• It doesn't make any difference to me. I'm sure she has her reasons. I'm not very close to most of my family either.

• Nope because that behavior would most likely extend to me and the kids, I could never be with someone like that.

• I've never really understood close relationships with family members. I like my family, but not really any more than I like my friends. I'd be totally fine with dating someone who is the same way.

• Maybe if they had a bad family history.

• It depends on if she had a good reason to not care about them

• No. If she doesn't care about her family, will she care about me? About our future kids?

• Can I ask why tho? I don't really care for my family anymore because they're all douchebags /assholes so I wouldn't really mind dating someone like that

• Most likely wouldn't date them.

• depends... it's pretty normal. fuck family, they're not for anybody!

• IF they have a legitimate reason than its fine
    but if not that an enormous RED flag

• No way, and somehow i feel women don't really care about family anymore... where i am from women only seem to have it drilled in their heads education, grades, career, money... etc. I don't even find them feminine.

• Yeah, means they have more time for MY needs and won't miss having fun to deal with family issues. I don't give a shit about my extended family neither cuz they don't give a shit about me.

• I experienced a change in my life and I still like my family but I don't feel the same way about it.

• Your basically asking would you date a soseopath or not

What Girls Said 12

• I can, because I'm that way. I wish I wasn't, but "family" has never been a happy warm fuzzy concept for me.
    My father comes from a family where you keep everything private. No one ever "gets sick". What flu? GO to work!
    My mother comes from a family where your problems are everyone's problems and everyone's problems are your problems.

I was emotionally abused by my mother, and father was emotionally not there. I was "taught" very early on that family will not help you, and if you try to get help, family will blame you and punish you for being ungrateful.

But because of this, I'm savagely protective of my friends, and very passionate about people being able to be who they really are, not what others want them to be. My situation didn't break me, it gave me a reason to stand up and fight. I'm no SJW, sometimes people are idiots and need to be educated, or too soft and need a dose of reality, but so long as they are happy and not hurting other, let them be!

• I would!! I would assume they're avoiding because of drama, and I think it's great they acknowledge they should avoid family, instead of pretending everything is fine. Or if they just <3 independence even better.

Plus, I don't really have an interest in meeting my partner's fam unless we're planning on getting married, srsly. Waste of time to me.

• No, the inability to care or show interest in his own family is a big red flag for me, our values would not be compatible.

• depends; if they have a nice, normal family, then i'd definitely have questions. but, if the family members are assholes (like my husband's parents and half-siblings), i wouldn't blame my other half for not giving a shit about them.

• How could people say no here?

Some people have fucked up families.

Mine was slightly less fucked up than some. But my family locked me in my room and kept me from people until I reached about the age of 12.

They called me awful names, and made fun of me. I was the scapegoat for all of their anger, frustration and rage.

That's not something you can forget easily... and my dad still thinks everything he did was okay. He really hasn't changed.

My mom has apologized and changed a lot... and I don't hold my sibling accountable because we were both young but... still...

You can forgive someone and still understand that they are choosing to be toxic toward you.

• According to me, if a man doesn't care about HIS current family, he won't care about his FUTURE family either.

• Yes, not everyone comes from a good family.

• No because people who can't respect their own parents, how in the world will that person respect me? Family comes first, then the rest of the people.

• My current boyfriend lives thousands of miles away from his family (work reasons) so he cannot be there with them in their time of need, however I know that he csres about them, and if something serious enough happens to one of them he'd probably go over in a heart beat.

• That depends on their family. I mean, if they were all asshole then can you blame him for not caring?

• no I wouldn't

• Sure could. I only love my grandparents and the rest can suck dicks 😒