Can a non-romantic person date a hopeless romantic?

Most Helpful Guy

• If the hopeless romantic is the girl and the guy is the one that's not so romantic, then I think yeah.

That's the case with me and my wife. I make sexual jokes, she's a hopeless romantic. But over time she started to find that my sexual jokes are kind of my way of expressing affection for her.

If the guy is the one that's the hopeless romantic, I think he's more screwed in that scenario. If he's going to be writing her poetry or something like that, I think he's bound to scare her off. There is a very small demographic of females that appreciate guys like that and don't find them creepy, and they're generally hopeless romantics themselves.

• I'm the non romantic one in this scenario

• Only half, but originally from Shizuoka. I went to high school and university in the U. S. Sorry if I was confusing by qualifying "Western romance" -- I just wanted to distinguish it from the ideas here.

• That's alright 😊

Most Helpful Girl

• well, i was a non-romantic who dated a hopeless romantic; he's way more so than i am, but our relationship has softened me a little lol.

• Really? I would stay the same. I wasn't raised in a romantic environement and I've always make fun of mushy stuff

What Guys Said 40

• Sure have you not seen 50 shades of Grey?

• The romance will probably drive them batty but it could be accomplished I think.

• Yes it can work although the non romantic has to becareful or they can get overwhelmed. As those who are hopeless romantic come with a lot of emotions a lot of the time.

Credit: Successfully got blind dates to work out between a non romantic and a hopeless romantic. Lets just say it started in high school and its now 4 years strong. However there are some periods where the couple make the decision to take time apart to keep from letting the emotions get to heavy. As the hopeless romantic can sometimes manage to unclog the dam the non romantic has made to block the emotions. And it can get messy.

• I'd just date a non romantic person

• Hey I'm not trying to scare ya. I'm just giving tips miss. As I've watched and had to fix relationships and I've found its the so called non romantic ones that get the pent up tension. Mostly cause they dont know how to let it go.

• This can work, as long as the "hopeless romantic" is the woman.

If the "hopeless romantic" is the man, the non-romantic woman would tire of him!

• Sure as long as each feels loved and respected. But I doubt in practice it work LT.

• I mean... they CAN, but it won't end very well.

• If apart from that difference they feel a click, probably yes :D
    Hopefully the romantic person will not stop being romantic, otherwise the character of the relationship may be a little "dry" :o

• Certainly, but the expectations out of the relationship will differ. Just make sure your compatible and can satisfy each others needs.

• Maybe for a short time. But eventually one or both people will be unhappy.

• yes if they have an extra effort to waste sure anything can be done but with time it'll get boring and both them will hate each other in the end and break up

• It all depends on her past. Girls tent to go through a lot sooo I would not want to jump into so easily.

• Woh! Wow. Okay. I see you got your stance correct. Queen Ivorian holding down! Lol, But why? I'm kinda curious as to why you, don't believe in it? What would you want in a relationship if he can't be different or romantic?

• Because I'm African. We don't really do romantic stuff. And many guys just don't understand that

• my experience says no. a definite and unchangeable no based on two times, whereas i was on both sides
    some1 will always get hurt

• It's possible

• One of them will be unhappy sooner or later.

• Anything is possible!

• Opposites attract

• Most likely not because that is a huge disconnect

• No, they want different things from the same activity.

• yeah it depends on whether the hopeless romantic is ready to do some compromises initially.

• Yup y not !! Certainly possible

• yes! but they will either learn from each other or one or both of them will be extremely unhappy lol

• If a romantic man dates a cold hearted russian girl, she won't be sweet and romantic but will understand that romance and love makes her feel loved, and that there's someone who cares and loves her, she might become romantic too!!

• Based on my experience, absolutely not.

• It's possible but I think the hopeless romantic will find it very frustrating, and at times think the non-romantic person doesn't care.

• Working out for me so far

• If both sides are willing to compromise then I'd say yes. If one or the other stood fast then it's a big resounding no.

• can, but shouldn't unless he changes

• if the girl is the Romantic one yes

• No they can't date

• I feel like they would be incompatible

• More from Guys
    10

What Girls Said 36

• Being a hopeless romantic in a relationship with an aromantic in the past... It did not work at all. We couldn't satisfy each other's needs in the relationship because we were too incompatible, largely because of our difference in romantic wants.
    It's the same as if someone addicted to sex dated an asexual. They wouldn't be able to hold that relationship together for long.

• Um no. I'm not asexual nor aromantic. I have different ways of expressing affection and of course I want affection back. But I want to be best friend with the guy friend because I have trush issues. Don't put labels on my question

• That's fine? lol

• Why do you keep replying?

• Yes, but after awhile the hopeless romantic will want the feelings returned. It will start to become annoying when the hopeless romantic is doing everything to keep the relationship and spark going, and the non romantic person is not doing anything but enjoying the benefits.

• If each of the pair accept halfway their way of thinking and their world it could work, it would be unfair if you are the romantic one and you would never find a bouquet with flowers for Valentines day or an organized dinner.

So if people that are different in this aspect try and meet halfway, it could work, as in YOU the romantic part DON'T ASK TOO MUCH, and HIM the NON ROMANTIC would give you a LITTLE of romanticism just to please you.

Each deserves a 50% of their desires in this case.

• Yes!
    My boyfriend is quite romantic and I am very not. Next month will be a year for us.

• Yes they can but it depends on the individual. A non romantic person that dates a romantic person can still have sex with them. Or that person can have a platonic relationship with that person.
    Here is a link: https://wiki.asexuality.org/Aromantic_FAQ

• I can imagine it wouldn't work out, and would cause a lot of pain in the process - unromantic would feel smothered and insufficient, romantic would feel rejected.

• Yes, but the hopeless romantic person will always complaint, " I love him but he is not romantic."

• Non-romantic girl and a hopeless romantic guy. Sounds like it would make a hilarious romantic comedy. It is possible but you seen unwilling to compromise so for you no. OPEN YOUR HEART TO WOVE~! <3 <3 <3

• Eh probably. Non romantics are just repressed romantics. Depends on how hard they want to cong to their darkness. And how much they fear being exposed.

The " romantic" would have to be very resultant and patient and non judgement ask and self confident, for it to work.

• I think it requires effort on one side and understanding on the other. The nonromantic has to put in a little effort at romance once in a while to please their partner. The hopeless romantic needs to understand that there are many ways to show love, and just because they are not always being romantic that they don't care for you and want you to be happy.

• Yes, but the both of them are going to have to have an equilibrium between loving and non-romantic. It may be hard, but if the both are willing, then it should be worth it and attainable.

• I'm not willing to do that. I wasn't raised in a romantic environment

• Then find that someone. Don't hang around the guy if you know he won't be able to make you truly happy. It would be in your best interest to seek someone else who does not seek love and affection than by staying with someone who would expect it and would be hurt when that expectation was met.

• I know what I'm doing. Thanks for answering my question

• Hell no. I tried. My ex was not romantic at all and at some point you just can't take it anymore

• It can work. But not necessarily for a long time.

• No. there would be too much of a difference.

• Sure but it might be hard or annoying

• Yup - maybe the non romantic person will put some sense and realism into the hopeless romantic. And maybe the other way around too...

• As long as they're both open minded and not too sensitive.

• I'm looking for a rational guy, who isn't too tight, who knows how to have a good time, knows how to keep it real AND be my best friend no matter what happens. Mushy romantic stuff turns me off because it's a sign that I can't trust the guy and many don't take time to actually know the person, they just assume everything, including our tastes

• That is the only answer I can give you. Fuck other posibilities. People aren't considerate when they try the romantic things

• Sure, if the Non is open minded and willing to learn!

• I think one will get annoyed from romance and the other will feel unsatisfied :/
    I think if they truly love each other they can try to please eachother so jt might work.
    But I don't think I can be with someone who's not romantic at all!

• Technically yes but they might be happier with someone like them. I am a romantic and I could not be my happiest with someone who didn't have the same mindset. And I imagine for someone who isn't very romantic, it could get annoying to be around someone who is.

• Yess

• Sure. they would both need to compromise a little bit though.

• I don't think I'll date a romantic person. I'm too cruel for them 😂😂

• Yeah agreed. I couldn't either, not because I'm cruel lol but because all that mushy stuff makes me unconfirtabke

• Because I'm cruel. And I don't like gifts

• ya , 44%

• yes but you would both have to learn to be tolerant and accepting of the others needs

• I would never date a hopless romantic. Ever. 🔫

• you are who you are and who you experiences have made you, I don't judge :)

• Well that is the truth though. Who I am can be multiples things

• I'm a romantic , I love romantic guys who make me melt, I would reject any guy who wasn't , I don't settle for less. so it depends on the person , but it's possible, but the romantic person would be settling for less

• Yes, why not? 😂

• I'm a hopeless romantic and have dated a non romantic. He was too this is how it is and this is the way it will be. So the romance fizzled.

• I won't date a hopless romantic. It's too much for me and there is more to life than romance

• Lol thats not what i meant. I mean when i am in a relationship i like to enjoy myself. Nothing against you. I just like to do all little thing for someone i care for. I enjoy the reationship more.

• And I was talking about me too

• it would be interesting to watch

• It has happened before. Are you asking if it's a good idea?

• I'm asking in general

• So your actual question is something like: "should a non-romantic person date a hopeless romantic person, as their views on romance are so different? Wouldn't they be emotionally incompatible?"

• Well my question has already been asked. So either you answer it or you get out. Your choice

• In my opinion, I think that the romantic person would feel taken advantage of and the non-romantic person would feel smothered. But hey, sometimes scenarios like these work out. You never know until you try!

• That doesn't sound like it would work out. Neither of your needs would be met.

• More from Girls
    6