Is it ok to still contact ex boyfriends while in a relationship?

Just wondering if its healthy to keep in contact with an x while in another relationship. Why do men feel uncomfortable with their partner keeping contact with xs?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm close friends with 2 of my exs and I understand how it's uncomfortable for anyone I'm Dating, so usually ask them to stop the playful spanking and things like that,
    Is it healthy? It depends on the ex I think, in your case if he's trying to get back with you or still have feelings for you, that's a no no, but if he's your friend, no problem with that, it important to be honest about it, specially with yourself, if you search your soul and discover that you like having them around cause you like how your boyfriend gets jealous, well that might be an issue
    Also most guys, me included, don't appreciate when are treated like they are being ridiculous for expressing a reasonable concern about you hanging out with an ex

0|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Thanks for your response, its insightful.

• Well glad to have help, last idea, for me personally it's hard not to keep in touch with my last ex, she was my best friend for many years, maybe she still is , not just my girlfriend, and I can't just stop talking to her, I'm not seeing anyone right now, but when I am, I explain it exactly like that, and I am open about it, and hope they can trust me enough

• I feel that in a relationship you should be able to trust your partner while observing them for odd behaviours if it is you might have any doubt. It is possible to have genuine friendship with an x. I try to stay away from an x who's single though.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 24

• Guys have insecurities and jealousies. Why do you need to stay in touch with an ex?

0|1
    0|0
  • It's fine as long as you don't step over your current bf's toes... cross your t's and dot your i's

However most won't like it. Girls and guys. Talk to them if you think you really can have a lasting friendship, otherwise it's just fiddling around and that's like throwing pebbles at your boyfriend for fun

1|0
    0|0
  • Because old feelings have a habit of becoming new feelings. If you where intimate with the person once you keeping close contact with the person increases the odds of you getting intimate with them again. I personally would be concerned (depending on the level of contact).

0|0
    0|0
  • Not unless he owes you money or something along those lines.

Why? Because he's your ex right? Why are you still contacting him otherwise? Whatever the answer aside from getting your belongings out of his place or some unfinished matter regarding finances or something along those lines, is not one I'm going to listen to. I'd tell you to go be with him because your obviously not done with him.

0|1
    0|0
  • It comes from the potential they'd be a shoulder to cry on. While your self control is probably unimpeachable, shit happens. Asking why someone would feel uncomfortable about it is like asking, "why do birds fly or why the sky is blue?" It simply is a risk factor that could threaten to undermine trust in a relationship or cause a self-fulfilling prophecy. While that tension is founded on insecurity, it sounds like keeping ex's in the wing is an equal insecurity on your part. Like imagine if all three of you were to hangout... would it be strange? Maybe a nameless tension from being Eskimo brothers... People in relationships should be able to spend time with each others friends and I'll tell you from experience: it's weird as fuck to hangout like everything is chill when you know you're with your girl's ex... don't put someone you care about through that whether in person or elsewhere

1|0
    0|0
    • Would you still feel insecure if it's a case where your girlfriend was simply friends for years with that guy they entered a relationship and then became an x?

• It is what it is. That doesn't inherently make me feel insecure (I'd have to be made of glass for that). The thing which would determine the awkwardness is if I could be his friend & if you made it clear to him that you were with me (that's saying nothing of how uncomfortable it would be for him). As I said before: I was in a similar situation with a girl I liked and the guy she had been with, who was both her friend a long time before and also my friend a long time before... it was still weird and honestly it would have been better not to hangout

• More from Guys

Recommended myTakes