Why have gender roles changed in almost everything except dating?

In some countries were both male and female work, know how to cook and clean etc, why when it comes to dating or going on dates. The gender roles still apply? Like guy ask girl out, guy pays, guy proposes etc. I know that sometimes people split the bill and girl do infact propose or initiate the "courting" But stuff like that is a rarity and is still considered a deal breaker or taboo to many. How does morden dating/relationships even work actually?

515

Most Helpful Girl

• Feminist & libs destroyed gender roles they made men feel guilty for being men and women feel entitled or more important as human beings because they have a vagina. I think as a women it's disgusting and can't stand it.
    Men by nature are suppose to the hunters.

Most Helpful Guy

• I believe in traditional gender roles, I think feminism is bullshit and that the sexes will never be equal. It's not that I view women as inferior, I think we're of equal worth but I think we're designed for different things and that comparing the two is like comparing apples to oranges.

However, if they want absolute equality it is hypocritical for them to expect men to stick to traditional gender roles. Basically they want to have their cake and eat it too. Whenever women are doing worse than men in any area they'll protest, but when men do worse they'll more often than not tell men who complain to stop whining, or worse they'll celebrate it as a victory for women where they'd blame sexism if it was the other way around. For example they'll celebrate the fact that twice as many women graduate from college, sometimes claiming that women are just more intelligent or that men are lazy, whereas if more men were graduating it would be down to sexism and would be a terrible thing. Even if they don't celebrate it, they won't be interested in making that number more equal for men or looking into the reasons why that happens like they would for women, and then they'll condemn men's rights activists for doing that, all while claiming to want equality for both men and women.

TL;DR - feminists are hypocrites.

What Girls Said 4

• Well, I don't know about everyone else but I have confessed my feelings for a guy before. I asked 2 out of 3 of my boyfriends out too. Would never expect them to pay for the meal unless it was a special occasion (such as birthday) and I would do the same for him. I like to either split it or take it in turns because otherwise it's not fair. Proposing is the one thing that I'm old fashioned about and that's simply because of tradition. But I'd still want to talk about it first and let him know that I'm going to say yes when he's ready to ask.

It's just social standards really and certain things are "expected". It doesn't mean they are right and most girls will tell you that they don't like being payed for all of the time. I mean it's nice ever so often but if it was every time it would make me feel bad actually. I believe there should be more balance.

• How about stop going for them? Eventually enough women will get the message and change. But as the old adage says, if it ain't broke it, don't fix it. And guess what? There's too many desperate men willing to do what you won't. So tell your fellow men to stop creating this mess that you bitch about.

• This is so true. If there weren't so many desperate men in the first place, then women would literally HAVE to pay for things. However, who would pay when they don't have to? I know I wouldn't.

• @EnglishArtsteacher pay for ourselves? I mean, we're adults. I don't need someone to pay for me, and you shouldn't either.

• @EnglishArtsteacher I completely agree. I was talking to a guy earlier at a job I was at, and he not only defended the way things are, but he saw it as part of his identity as a man. In future, I will not be discussing any of those topics with him. However, each to their own.

If a man wants to continue being desperate and be willing to do anything for a whiff, then that's his problem. I will continue NOT being desperate and holding people accountable to how they behave regardless of gender or attraction. Eventually there will be a shift in how things are because men, despite their desperation are still primarily logical beings.

• whenever I offer to pay for part of half of the date I always get shut down. this has more to do with a man's pride than a woman's unfairness. I honestly feel like I am insulting him if I don't give up and let him pay.

• Well that's the people you date I personally take my man out sometimes and leave him little gifts it's 50/50

What Guys Said 14

• Well I blame each and every one of you. Your acceptance of everybody's gender is their right bullshit has basically screwed you right out of your purposeful role. More and more women are so damn masculine and hard hearted it is absolutely disgusting. If they are not in control of all of their surroundings and people involved with them they feel like they fail as if people are suppose to be controlled. yet at the that very same time they are emotionally confused which eventually makes them crash emotionally. Boys Now do not deserve to be called men because they are total pussies and have no idea how to man up. they are even too scared to ask a girl out now. THAT is far worse than a woman's masculinity. After all if a man would be a man a woman would not need to to jump into that role. So you actually brought this all on yourselves. Giving acceptance to a gender problem rots the roles of man hood.

If you want to be the man in the relationship then man up and take back your God given role that He assigned to you. Not this pussy ass society we live in.

• Because women were the most loud about getting rid of gender roles, and gender roles in dating benefit women, so they're obviously not gonna speak against them.

• Each generation is going to go with how they were raised. I was raised by the Boomers, so I go with those values. Ones coming up today are raised by a different generation. Things won't stay the same forever. We go with what we know. I'll raise kids how I was... you likely will how you were, and so on...

• If you really look at it deep down
    Throwing a few bucks at her is easy cake. Most men would rather keep their superiority over women at the cost of a few dollars

If they wanna sell themselves at a monetary price in return for superiority, by all means sure --> just pay for the ones you really want and don't for the rest. Better deal for us

• Because that is apparently the most convenient for girls. Why would they change it?

• We've evolved as humans so strict gender roles aren't necessary or practical. In many households it makes more sense for both parents to work, cook, and clean. Responsibilities divided up evenly. Regarding dreams and ambitions-nobody dreams of cleaning pots, this also works well.

In most cases I believe guys do still propose and ask women out, but in certain instances say a guy who is shy, the woman does. Personally I don't see it as an issue.

In the ideal relationship both people are helping each other reach their max potential.

• I don't always pay for girls... In fact I take the ckeck for the first date and what I say is... "It's OK I'm not sexist, you can pay for dinner next time..." plus gives me a great reason to call them up and say with humor "You owe me dinner." If I want a second date. And I'm not interested in girls that are shallow and take it wrong, that want me to buy everything for them and think they're princesses or something... So if she's offended that's the end of it.

• It was never a gender role for men to pay for a womans food. It was created from necceccity. Just refuse to date women who want you to pay. Its that simple.

• As the saying goes "they wanna have their cake and eat it too". I have seen so many girls act like guys, dress like guys and do things guys would be crucified for but when shit hits the fan, who do they count on to protect them? A man

• I honestly think that men feel offended when I offer to pay for something. And for a girl it comes off as desperate and if we seem too interested, guys tend to ghost you.

• Biology/social standards. We are animals and in most sexual dimorphic species the males pursue the females and the females either accept/decline the offer. It just works the best.

• They haven't changed at all. It's exactly the same. You're just showing an ignorance of history.

• Because girls only want "gender equality" whenever it suits them.

• Cause girls want equality only when it's in their favor

• So what, if all those things have changed? What is so wrong with a guy asking a lady out, treating her like a proper lady, taking her hand, adjusting her chair, making every effort to make her feel special?
    How is that 'sexist'? It isn't meant to be 'condescending' like she isn't an equal, or she can't do these things for herself!! It is about caring about her, wanting her to be comfortable.
    I think a lot is lost with different ideals about how men and women relate!!
    I ADORE having a lady, on a date, and maybe she obsesses about what to wear, for hours, but whatever she wears, she looks AMAZING!!
    I take her hand, like a 'Gentleman of Old,' not because she needs me to, but because it is a simple gesture of caring, and respect!! I open doors for her, and adjust the chair, when she sits, out of respect, and wanting her to be comfortable.
    Why do gender roles need to change, because some cannot figure out their gender, or others misinterpret the intents?
    Some of the 'Old Ways' were for respect, and adoration, for the Lady, not some condescending BS that some have turned it into!!