Do you need to have a lot of shared interests to build a successful relationship?

Let's say the two of you have great chemistry. You have similar personalities and senses of humor. But you don't really have any shared interests. You don't watch the same shows and do very different things in your free time. What are your thoughts on this? Can it work out?

42

Most Helpful Girl

• In my personal Opinion

I do think you learn more especially once the relationship is already there.

At first I would think that it is good to have similar interests but it comes to life when I met a partner who we were really well in terms of a few similar interests we had but most weighted on the maturity level of understanding one another and being able to handle certain circumstances if anything came up.

In a successful relationship similar interest is a plus. but the biggest role that plays here is how both of you exchange the communication in terms of any circumstance may it be a sudden argument or misunderstanding or simply an issue, the greatest thing here is understanding and being able to handle the situation with your partner together when these instances arise.

but never compare your situation to anyone else, because for everyone, always remember everything is case to case.

the real deal is the understanding, able to handle situations may it be good or bad, completely accepting your partner from not just her or him but also the other things she or he holds dear.

always remember it is not always about the butterflies, but ofcourse love is also important, my point is you have to love everything and as you progress there should be responsibilities too. Love and have Responsibility.

Most Helpful Guy

• I think the scenario you described could work. That being said, having shared interests is cool, but you should never ignore red flags.

I'm not saying you did that but I dated a girl who was really cute and probably shared the most interests with me out of all women I dated but she ended up being very toxic as she was on the rebound, acted hot and cold consistently, then I found out she was playing me and manipulating me.

I'm not saying her having common interests caused it but what I am saying is, no matter how cute someone is and how much you have in common, you never ignore red flags.

What Girls Said 3

• Not necessarily. My boyfriend is a lot more adventurous than I am, we both do different things in our spare time. Our relationship works because I'm willing to try out the kinds of things he does for fun that I wouldn't usually do (like camping for example) and it works the same way for him. Our relationship has worked out so far so it definitely can work out even if you don't have similar interests.

• I think it is better to have shared interest; so that I can feel enthusiastic for him, or excited for him or join him in his interest as well.

For example, I like sports in general though I don't really do much of it.
    If he were to be really into football, or baseball etc though I am not a fan I would still feel excited for him/support him (a bit easily) because I like sports (even though it's not the same sports as what he likes)

• I think it could work. You both eventually will learn about each other more and develop similar interest as time pass on

What Guys Said 1

• The only shared interest you need is each other.
    Other things can be worked on.