How do Americans celebrate Valentines day?

I'm living in the US now, but I'm originally from Ireland. I'm just curious how it is celebrated because I was under the impression that in America if people like someone (they aren't dating yet) they will send letters and chocolates and things to the people that they like, but 4 years in the US and I've never had that experience nor heard of anything like that. It seems like most people do absolutely nothing on valentines day and only married couples actually celebrate it, is this just my experience or is that really how it is?

24

Most Helpful Girl

• If you have a boyfriend/girlfriend it you're married, you give your lover chocolate, a kiss, etc. Do romantic stuff.

Most Helpful Guy

• You have been hanging with a most unromantic crowd.

It is customary for a guy to send roses to his sweetheart, to take her out to dinner, and to even give her a gift on Valentine's Day. My girlfriend's birthday is on Valentine's Day so we do even more celebrating on February 14.

What Girls Said 1

• You can give cards or make and give card to the ones you love and care for like friends and family or if you have a girlfriend do something romantic like a date or chocolates and flowers.

What Guys Said 3

• IF you want true honest reactions don't wait for V-day. It has become a greater holiday for sales and media hype than for genuine lovers. Work out little day trips or day for You and Her. On that day do all the things that would be meaning for you both. work in romantic things where you can spend time together and share... picnic, walk, milkshake, or just hold hands watching the sun set while talking with each other. (it's not about her, it's not about you, it is about bringing you two together in that sharing aspect... the joining of hearts and minds)

When you surprise someone pleasantly like that it brings more true romance than trying to flush out a V-day relationship. The biggest benifits to it is the unexpected part, if somethings are planed out good but keep your time together fluid and if she likes something more and wants to "walk" longer then do that. Don't hurry, just be with her. It's the best I can say.

• I believe the colorol red is one big thing so spanking is a major key here

• People in relationships and married couples usually