Is it normal to feel very very sad after breaking up with someone even though you were the one doing the breaking up?

918

Most Helpful Guy

• Sure. Things didn't work, but your mind keeps going over the things that did, and if you made the right choice, and just like a student you keep wanting to think you made the wrong choice. Even if it was the correct choice! You'll get past this. Focus on yourself, and remember you're worthy of love, too. But the first person to love you has to be you. If you don't love yourself, no one else will ever be able to, either.

Most Helpful Girl

• yes. That is what happened to me as well. Because you think of all the good memories that you had with your ex. You'll probably regret breaking up with the other person. You might feel guilty, because if the other person truly liked you then they would get hurt too, and in the past you would've never wanted to hurt that person in any way. It's okay. Just know that time will heal everything, and if the other person doesn't want to stay friends that's perfectly okay too. If they want to stay friends, make sure that it is kept that way. Do not get back together. There is a reason that you two broke up. But it is perfectly normal. Just get yourself engaged in many activities. Talk with your girl friends, go out, focus on work/studying, etc. Try not to think about him as much. Delete all pictures you have of him, and restrain from looking at them. It's difficult, but it's going to make you feel better. And good luck to you too. MHO? XD

What Guys Said 17

• Yes. it's the emotional loss. It's the loss if the dreams and desires you had in your head. So yeah, it is mostly just in your head. :)

Most are more enamored with the idea they had in their head, more so than the actual person. It's hard to really see reality - we see things as WE are, not as they really are. So it fools us.

There's a reason you split. Consider you dodged a huge bullet - that usually keeps the thought more in line with reality.

• Yes, completely normal. You don't go into the relationship thinking it will ever end. So even if it's not right for you and it's your decision and for the best, it's still sad that it's ending and didn't work out.

• Your partner that you broke up with actually broke up with you. Making you think that it was your idea when it was actually thiers, this is the con artist 101 first rule in the book. Ultimately making you feel bad and possibly getting back together. Jokes aside, I used to know guys that would break up with their girlfriends just before valentimes day so they dont need to buy them anything lol.

• no matter what someone can do you, even if you are the one to quit

this isn't how love works, it does not fades instantly away

this is normal, do not worry

• Yes it's normal to feel real sad after a break up even thou you did the breaking up
    totally normal for this to happen. Hope things get better for you. Best Wishes :)) -Hugs- Keep your chin up !!!

• No. You clearly aren't sure about the decisions you make.
    Whenever I make a decision, I do not regret it.
    I usually stick firm to it several years in the future.

• ehh I dunno.. I've only ever felt bad after 1 break up, regardless of who did the dumping.

• I guess you shouldn't feel sad. it's your conscious which is filling with guilt.

• i think it would be weird if you didn't feel sad. understand that that a person that you would talk to more than others. Whether or not you did the breaking up it feels as if there is something missing in your life you know.

• yepp

• Yes. Even if you were right. You can't shake the feeling that you were too intolerant or made a mistake, maybe you miss the companionship. Ignore it.

• natural, you may feel regrets.

• I'd say it was normal and healthy

• I would feel sad if I did the breaking up with a girl.

• yes because its you who did it

• No...

• Yes, I've been through that before

What Girls Said 8

• Yes, it's completely normal. Breakups are tough whether you are the dumper or dumpee

• yeah that's normal

• Of course it's normal. You are parting with a loved one, and your brain's dependency on dopamine.

• I think that is totally normal!

• very normal indeed.

• Yes, it's still a loss.

• it's what i'm going through now, but it's more the fact that i hurt him

• yes ofc it's normal. you were in a relationship with him, you had feelings for him at some point, that doesn't go away in a flash