Why do people blame society for their failures?

I never understood why so many people refuse to take personal responsibility. Wouldn't it be better to believe you can improve your situation instead of becoming bitter in your pity party?

I put this question under dating because I feel that's where I've seen the most finger-pointing. I didn't think it was fair to put it under guy's behavior because I'm sure girls do that too even though I haven't seen it myself.

622

Most Helpful Guy

• blaming society without doing anything about it is wrong

blaming society for something you can't help but deal with it then make your way around/through it, is ok

Most Helpful Girl

• You have a point here. Far to many people are quick to plau the blame game especially in my culture... African American. This is something that I notice about a lot of guys they are quick to blame "the white man" on why they can not find a job when in fact they have not been putting in any effort at all. One job interview a week isn't good enough, if you know the odds are stacked against you then you should be going on mutiple interviews a week to increase your chances.

What Guys Said 21

• Taking personal responsibility involves admitting that you are not already super amazing (a consequence of the everyone-gets-a-trophy culture) and also means you will need to do actual work to do something about it.

It is far easier to claim that you are a special snowflake and the world is to blame for not accommodating you.

• i can think of a thousand reasons... how about you improve yourself and do everything you can to become successful and all and still fail? who's fault is it that your worked hard, both on yourself, career and all and still ended up miserable? yours? please...
    People fail most of the time because of standards or cliches imposed by society, if there are no standards like "he has to be... has to have... should be... must have..." where do you think all these come from? the more standards appear the more it becomes impossible to find someone close, a good job that you feel comfortable with and many others...

• "how about you improve yourself and do everything you can to become successful and all and still fail? "
      Happened all the time to successful people. You keep trying and maybe try something different.

"who's fault is it that your worked hard, both on yourself, career and all and still ended up miserable?"
      GET THERAPY.

" the more standards appear the more it becomes impossible to find someone close, a good job that you feel comfortable with and many others."
      So in other words, keep making excuses to not improve yourself. Find someone who doesn't have high standards, and sometimes you have to find a job that's beneath you to survive.

• You asked the question... believing and hoping is one thing, in reality you have to actually do it, i don't have problems any different from the rest, therapy? Good one... No offense, ever considered that therapy might not help all and everyone? so you say that one should rise to a certain standard because others think it's "fun","new" or "cool" while you are already happy with yourself but feel the pressure to change to something else because...

• Because sometimes it IS society's fault. I'm sure many 350lb truck drivers would rather make $100k -1M a year being a fashion model or porn star instead of just being hypnotized mile after mile by the passing dotted lines on the road. But since fat is almost universally considered gross by society that's just never going to happen. There's one example among dozens. Me? Fuck society and the rest of the world, I'm used to my pity party I've lived in for the past 60+ years (life is downhill after 30 and pretty much over by 40). Improving situations doesn't matter much anyway when you are almost certainly dead by 120 (usually before 90) regardless and neither for who gets the blame when it doesn't happen.

• "I'm sure many 350lb truck drivers "
      Being 350 pounds is not society's fault. That's yours and your family. This is the kind of stuff I'm talking about. Society finds these people gross because THEY CHOOSE to be unhealthy.

• What if it's a thyroid condition? Not only that there's fast food joints all over the place that sell product that is comparable to drug dealers pushing heroin. We have an unwinnable war on drugs but heaven forbid we have an unwinnable war on empty calories and gluttony too = society's fault.

• in my opinion, people fail to see their own accountability for their successes and failures, a simple matter of responsibility.

Is the system screwed? Maybe?
    Is that deck stacked? Maybe?

There is one thing you can control, and that is yourself.

• Cause society has set us up to fail. When we have to work everyday just to stay warm and put food on a plate... phew that's already gone way past setting us up to fail

• Depends on what problem it is.. Example, obviously certain government policies would create circumstances that would fuck over the people. Thats beyond their control.. Another example if you happen to be different from the norm of the society and the society gives you a problem., In interconnected world, you dont control the outcomes 100%.

• This is mostly a women thing - the hamster. Pretty much do not ever except blame for anything that happens in their life - it's all uncontrolled external forces.

The guys that do this are just being whiny twats. Ignore them.

• Keep in mind the circumstances of your birth.

• Society, culture and economy are our biggest obstacles. It's always pulling us down and we have no choice but to abide by these set rules created for us.

• So a child born in a third world country that is starving doesn't have the right to blame society?

• This right here.

• And if you bothered reading, you noticed I said this "blame society" mentality usually come into dating. You really think a fucking child is worried about dating in the 3rd world?

• the asker obviously missed the whole point.

• It's easier to look outward than inward.

• because people are stupid

• Its the economy.

• because they don't want 2 admit it is there fault

• cuz society is too be blamed, it has set some standard which can't be applied to everyone

• Cuz socity has to do with 80% and the 20% is from us

• Because people hate to admit they're wrong

• Because they have been brought up in the liberal squid mentality, where they are to blame others.

• Yes, I am also extremely curious of why groups like BLM and Mussies blame the society everyday.

• I blame society for not having a job, I've applied to bullshit jobs and I haven't gotten any calls and I'm an Engineer with plenty of skills.

Regarding dating, I dont blame society, I blame nature, girls are all about wanting you for your money, thats why if i'm broke no matter how much of a masterpiece of a person am in terms of personality and body, if i'm broke women won't want me. Feel free to prove your point

• "girls are all about wanting you for your money,"
      Then find a girl who doesn't want you for your money. If you think all women are gold diggers, then that shows you haven't met enough women, so that's a YOU problem.

• I know plenty but i dont date all of them, and i moved to a new city so i barely know people and how can i even date if i dont have a job? And thats not my fault

• true that. most men complaining here about having to pay for dates and never being approached are ugly AF... seen it more than once when those men complain and their profile pic looks like shit.

good looking men don't have that problem, they get whatever they want.

What Girls Said 5

• Great question! I think a large downfall in our society is the lack of accountability, you see it everyday! There seems to be a lot of finger pointing that goes on. I think it stems from weak morals and upbringing but I can't say for sure. What I can assure you is I've encountered this as well. Sad and scary really.

• It's always easier for people to look elsewhere for blame than internally where the truth can really hurt.

• They can't accept responsability for themselves

• people always blame others

• Give me an example, not sure if I understand or not

• "I can't find a girlfriend because all women are horrible selfish sluts who won't give me a chance!"