Is it racist to not be attracted to a race completely?

Ok typically when we think of racial preferences we only think preferences.

Like for example I personally prefer black women over white women, but that doesn't mean I will never date white women, I still find white women attractive.

But what about people who go farther then preferences and say "I don't find black women attractive, I don't find Asian men attractive" etc
So for them it's a complete rejection for the entire race. Is that racist or just simply preference?
What if you truly just don't find characteristics of certain races attractive and just help help yourself?

176

Most Helpful Girl

• I consider that racist, yes.

Most Helpful Guy

• I guess it could be.

Well for me, part of it is that I just find dark skin less appealing and less feminine. I don't know why, but I just do. Im not a fan of their hair either. Those are just a visual preferences which I don't believe are racist.

The other part of it is that I admittedly have a negative perception of their personality based on stereotypes and that is probably based on racism. However, in my experience all the ones I have met seem to embody most of the stereotypes I find unappealing.

And even if racial dating preferences are "racist"to some people, who cares? Its not the like its on the same level as the"I hate black people and want them to die" kind of racism and what would be the solution anyways?

Affirmative action for dating? Like everyone has to meet a quota and date a person from each raceπŸ™ˆ

What Girls Said 16

• It becomes racist when they say "I don't like black women because they have such bad attitudes" or "I don't like white women because they have no curves", etc. It becomes racist when you start attributing traits you find negative to an entire race. Which is essentially the basis for racism. It's about justifying your dislike or mistreatment through stereotypes and negative generalization. If you find a specific ethnic group phisically attractive, that's your business. But when you make your preference about all the BS stereotypes you can't stand in another race, it becomes ignorant and racist.

• I wish this site had FAQ section.

• Ohhhhh I see what you mean. Sorry to disappoint you hahaha

Maybe people don't know you can still search old questions for results

• @spencify I forgive you πŸ˜‰ and true, they probably don't.

• No I don't think so you're not always going to find every race attractive I mean sure it sounds that way but at the end of the day that is someone's preference like I'm hispanic and if I were to get a divorce with my husband who is also Hispanic I wouldn't go back to dating hispanics

• If you don't hate them or wish them harm because of their skin, then it's not racist. I think attraction is a preference. It's not racist in my opinion.

• If that's not what a person is attracted to they can't help that, being racist takes it to another level where a person is being mean or hateful towards certain race for no reason

• I don't think so. there are certain races that I do not find attractive but I dont hate them.

• It's not racist, it's still a preference.

• No, what the hell! You got your own taste, doesn't mean anything. I Like one race too, to date. But friends wise, anyone. It's just what you prefer.

• It's not racist to not find someone attractive it's racist to say you don't find someone attractive because they are that race

• I don't like dating bisexual people only straight people

• People who are not racist dont get ass hurt about the word because they know it's not true so yeah it applies to everything if you're insecure fix it

• You're still using fallacious reasoning and non - sequiturs.

• no lol

• It's not rracism it's just attraction.
    My sister, for example, only dates black men, because that's what she likes. At the other hand, I, for example, I've dated white guys and an Indian, but never a black man.

• No, it's not

• No it's not racist at all I actually do the same thing with guys I don't care what race they are I just care about the type of person that they are and there character.

• I mean, I have no problem with black men or Asian men, but I'm in no way attracted to them. I don't think it's racist if I won't have sex, or date them, it's just not my style. that's like me saying I don't like Asian food, it's not racist if I don't like it, I just happen to not like it

• I think it's more complicated then that. I mean what your attracted too is what your attracted too but you may have been raised in an enviroment that helped form those preferences that was... yes racist. Your now not attracted to the race but there is an underlining reason that has to do with race rather then just appearance but it pushed your reason for being not attracted to looks wise as well because you subconsciously link the 2.

• No of course.

What Guys Said 5

• no that's not racist. I am not attracted to many Asian ethnicities, not that I have seen or been around all of them nor can I tell them all apart. but no it's not racist if you can get along with them in normal social interaction and would help them if needed

• It's not sexist to like only girls.
    As someone who only likes Indian girls and other brown girls, pretending I'm attracted to another race isn't gunna benefit either part involved in the long run. If you don't find them attractive you don't. You don't owe your attraction to anyone for any reason.

• Not racism but there are usually some issues involved especially if you're not attracted to your own race.

• No everybody has oreferences

• Of course not.