Never let a man buy you dinner, because he'll expect "payback" at the end of the night?

This was the only piece of advice my dad ever gave me. Do you agree or disagree? LOL

I figure if it were true, guys wouldn't complain nearly as much about the cost of meals. ;)

Most Helpful Guy

• It's an expression to illistrate that when someone 'gives' you something, it's not necessarily only for you... but for them too. Why would a total stranger, on average, want to pay for you if there was no apparent benefit to it

The old man is right, some girls I know rather cover their own bills until things are serious because they rather not be inferior or feel they 'owe' him something

• Yeah, it's why I don't usually let guys pay but I think they think I'm friend-zoning them when I do that, cuz I can't seem to get a relationship going with anyone. Like I'm giving off a not-interested vibe.

• I don't think picking up the check is a question of dominance at all. I see it as a social gesture that has a commonly understood meaning. If I think a guy is trying to dominate me I am out of there very fast.

• But in general yes, you're right

What Guys Said 19

• A few do but most just expect fair dealing. That is you are genuinely considering them as a potential romantic and sexual partner. If you're not it's wrong to accept.

• On the first date?

• @PunkinPie Sex would be like the second interview when you get called to come in and meet the big boss. 😁

• Hey don't worry about me. I ain't paying fo shit. Hanging out and 1st dates, she's on her own. 2nd date. We split. 3rd date, then we'll see if I pay. I'm don't know her and all I know she can get a free meal and pretend she likes the date.

• No, I don't think that's true as a general rule. That's just being too cynical. And cynicism (especially things like: "all guys only want one thing, etc.") just poisons dating and creates all kinds of needless mistrust between girls and guys.

• things are different these days

• I think this might have been true at one point in time. Nowadays I don't think there are very many people who feel his way.

• If I demand a payback, I'll get an escort. If it's just a date and dinner, all I ask for a nice company and hopefully the promise for a next date.

• Well, is that not what most relationships essentially are? Men look for sex, women look for a provider of resources. Makes sense to me

• He can "expect" all he wants, doesn't mean you owe him anything. A gentleman always pays for the lady's meal. Your very presence is worth it.

• LOL! Nicely said.

• I am aware that there are very few true gentlemen left in this world though.

• Ah, okay. Even better.

• I disagree. I never expected anything in return when I asked a woman out besides her time and complete attention, no phones.

• I disagree let them pay and if they are just doing it for sex theyre only with you for sex

• What? your dad was very naive, no offense

• That's the reason I never let women buy me dinner. They think it's an easy way to get into my pants

• I agree

• Payback as of hoping for another date possibly

• I never expected anything from dates. Whether it be dinner or anything else.

• Disagree cause all Men aren't all a like.

• Haha you understand how it works.

• Not really true
    waiting to hear a legit case of it going that way

• Oh it's gone that way. I remember one guy in college took me out and wanted sex after. I was like, no we just met. His response was, "well don't make me wait too long."

• The kind of guy who later plaigarized his Master's thesis!

• I stick with
      ew
      ew

just ew
      fuck that guy

id be lucky enough just to have said person rock up and even that would do me 😂

• agree

What Girls Said 8

• I typically go dutch, but luckily the FEW times guys have paid for me they never expected anything but gratitude.

• I see where he's coming from but I have to disagree on the grounds I don't care what my date thinks I owe him or expects! Hell I expect to win the lottery but it hasn't happened yet ;)

• Perhaps he'll hope to get rewarded, I don't think 'expecting' is the right word cause it's not always true.

• disagree not all the same

• i mean my boyfriend never compl... fuck xD this all makes sense

• not really... paying dinner is a gentleman but depends on the guy... if he's a playboy then maybe he want smthng in return if not then its just fine//

• Don't matter what he expects he's probably not getting it

• Disagree