Are you ok with your girlfriend / boyfriend having a lot of online friendships through social media?

The reason i ask this is because it's becoming clear that a lot of people go through breakups due to social media. i have been dating my girlfriend since last December and everything is going great between us and her 4 yo daughter also likes me a lot. I've met her family, her colleagues etc... she is just very active on social media. she has a lot of friends, mostly guy friends online, and it bothers me because she keeps mentioning them every single day. i see how it runs her down sometimes and to me it sends off the wrong message. Im there to spend time with her and her daughter, to discuss us and im ok with her having friends etc but talking about them all day is just too much sometimes. in the end its not these people who are there for her when she needs someone the most, its me, or her parents or her real friends. im also not a big fan of her liking pictures of other guys but well, appearantly everybody does that, excluding myself, so i dont feel like saying something about that, but she really needs to cut down on those social media friends. how do you handle it, have you talked to your SO and how did they take it. Less social media is better in a relationship, at least thats how i see it.

52

Most Helpful Girl

• I understand just what you mean.. My boyfriend is really friendly and he has a lot of friends that are girls. Most of them look like models and a couple of them do model so I'm just like uhh why are you with me -_- (I'm insecure though) but I know how you feel and he talks about them sometimes or used to before I said something. I just asked why he talked to them so much and he said sorry he would stop and hasn't spoke to them as much I wasn't trying to totally cut him off from friends... so just explain how you feel! If she cares for you she will stop. Or cut down on her amount of time to talk to them. Personally I hate social media... you have access to talk to anyone meaning people usually end up finding someone they like better :/ just try to trust until something really gets fishy though.

• you are right, the way it makes me feel is like my attention is not good enough for her. Whenever we are together she seems really into me and yes she does put away her phone but yet when i see her online activities it bothers me. Who are all these people adding her, what's the point in her liking pictures of single men. even if they are just pictures it makes me feel awkward. We went to check a bed last time, and i susgested to her we could try to buy it next month , so far i haven't heard her talking about it. once she was texting all evening long with three people who were bullying her, some guy who she rejected send two of his gfs on her. i was sitting on the sofa with her daughter on my lap and she was just texting there. until i saw her crying. i was really pissed of because i felt ignored. i comfort her but i never told her how angry it made me. social media has no big part in my life but in hers it does, i wish she would cut back on it.

• me to. People before the generation of social media are mostly still together, however these days its just obvious how many people divorce, cheat or have children growing up in single parents homes simply because social media somehow fucked things up. i will tell my girlfriend what i think of her social media activities. i see her online all day on fb but she can't even bother to read my whats app messages and reply. she normally did.

• Yes tell her how you feel. Don't let social media mess up another good relationship

Most Helpful Guy

• If all she's talking about is other guys then fuck yeah it'll bother me. Sure have a couple friends I don't mind but when your life revolves around them it's a problem. If you talk to her about it and make it clear it bothers you but she doesn't care then she's not worth your effort in my opinion.

What Girls Said 4

• you're being ridiculous

• why so?

ok lets put it like this, your boyfriend has all these online girl friends, and whenever you are together he keeps mentioning them, which ofc is a good thing since no one is hiding something but, you are there to spend time with him. instead your listening to all these names etc..

im not a controlling and dominant individual, i want my girlfriend to be free, butr all this , well i dont see how its improving our relationship. I've heard like 5 to 6 different guys names and im like wtf. i barely talk about my friends or the girls im befriended with. why? because im there for her. last time she had a massive argument with a guy and two girls. that dude still liked her and wouldn't take no for an answer. well just block him, yet she kept him on fb. the dude gets a girlfriend and puts his girlfriend and another girl up against my girlfriend. i sat there sawing her textring like crazy. i was getting pissed, first of all why is she taking all that crap. block and delete, leave my girlfriend alone 2nd i fellt ignored.

• I couldn't care less

• Me and my husband don't have social media aside from this and if he asked me to delete it I would.

• Yeah I am cool with it. My husbang had a hard time dating young and he had this online girlfriend when he was 13... they went out for awhile and they still talk... they are both married & have never met in person. I remember his dad bragging about wanting to take him to Tennesse to meet her when we were kids.. he was sooo embarressed then, I think it's cute-lol.

• My boyfriend and I don't use social media. Only gag. We have no need to use social media. We have each other and our own friends. You can never truly know who online people are. Usually socially inept people live their life online

What Guys Said 1