Girls, How do you ask a girl out at a bar?

I've never been to a bar before, but now I can drink. I'll be going to a bar tomorrow and I want to know how to approach a random girl I don't know and strike up a conversation with her and make her interested.
Is it enough for for a girl to be looking roughly in my direction to say hi? I've seen guys walk up to a bar table or a dining table at a bar to talk to a girl in the movies, but that might come off as threatening in real life. Also, do I just say "Hi, My name's X, what's yours?" or pretend to ask a question like "Excuse me, I'm new here. What's the best drink at this place?".
I've only talked to women I already know because we've been introduced by others or because we've been grouped together for some work and I'm worried about making a girl uncomfortable. I'm more worried about her being creeped out than I am about her not being interested in me. Once I manage to introduce myself, I'll probably be comfortable enough to continue the conversation from there, but I'd still like some advice on gaining her interest too.
Please help me.

What Girls Said 1

• "Hi, I think you're beautiful. I am /insert your name what's yours?"