What would you think if your partner had a best friend of the opposite gender?

If they were trustworthy and hadn't ever done anything sexual with them. Would it make you jealous? How would you approach this issue?

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, sounds to me you have some deep rooted issues. I've been happily married to my bestie for 17 years, bit I also have another "bestie" that I share equal discussions with. Never bothered my wife! She has had guy friends that are pretty much the same way when we first got married. I never thought anything of it! Figure out why YOU have trust issues and then talk to him about it! Open and active communication seems to solve every relationship problem on this site...

• Thanks for the input! I'm not actually in a situation like this but I was curious about thoughts as I have many guy friends I'd not like to give up were I pressured (like in a relationship).

by the way, I like how you said you d been married 17 years and your age says 13. 😂

• LMAO... Yea, I can't seem to find where to change that! Then again, I have only been using the phone app and not the site! I'm 39. I have always been friends with more girls than guys. It has NEVER been an issue or problem!

• It's cool to know that some partners are totally fine with it! The majority doesn't like the idea, which I totally understand, but it's good to know there's still a chance of it working.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'd trust them. My best friend is a guy, but I just see him as a friend. No romantic interest. Maybe once when we were younger, but I'm past that now. We've had too complicated a past and he and I just aren't compatible. I want nothing but friendship from him. I would hope my boyfriend wouldn't think me untrustworthy just because a guy is my bff.

I had another best guy friend (who I am no longer friends with) who was like a brother to me. Always had been. My parents even allowed me to sleep over his house all the time because they knew that there would never be anything between us. He would even refer to me as his sister to many people. My boyfriend at the time understood that and trusted me completely.

I had a boyfriend who had a best girlfriend and I trusted him that they were just friends. We broke up due to the fact that he didn't understand that cuddling with ANY of his best girl friends wasn't okay, but if it weren't for the fact that he wouldn't compromise on the cuddling thing, then him having a best girl friend wouldn't have bothered me.

What Guys Said 14

• I wouldn't care. Because they are my partner, and i would trust them enough to curves that friend like tokyo drift if they tried anything. If im worry about them being around other people than that means i dont trust them enough to stay loyal or not confident enough to feel that they love me enough to not even consider cheating. But thats just me. Different people different relationships, different mind sets

• It's weird but best and true friends are usually of the opposite sex. If you're sure there's nothing between them romantically or sexually, don't overthink. There are millions of things you can talk to with your friend from the opposite sex, which you can't talk to your best friend from the same sex... so let them be...

• I totally agree! I'm not currently in a situation like this but I was wondering about people's thoughts. Mostly because I have friends of the opposite sex that I get along with better than girls.

• Even in best friends, there can be jealously inbetween if they are the same sex. Anyway, all my friends are women, and most of the time they tell me how women think in certain situations and even push me in the direction of my love interests if I am having difficulty figuring them out.

• I think it is troublesome and messy. Total conflict of interest. I would be bothered by it.

• I wouldn't care. It wouldn't even occure to me that maybe I should care. My best friend is a girl. Most of my friends are girls. I could be with someone who's best friend was their ex and I'd be fine with it. I wouldn't be with someone I didn't trust.

• I wouldn't like it

• Would at least make me wary.

• She wouldn't be my partner anymore. Luckily I don't date in the first place so I don't have to worry about things like this

• I'd be upset and wouldn't be in a relationship with her.

• He must be awesome

• I'd be fine with it because I have a best friend of the opposite gender.

• Tbh I wouldn't like that.

• let them be until you see something

• I need to be very very sure his/her friend is gay. Otherwise, not acceptable

• I'd be very very cautious, if he was obvious he was into her I'd probably have a chat with both of them

What Girls Said 5

• my boyfriend lived with his best female friend from mid April until the end of July without me there. I mean sometimes I would get a little jealous but not enough that it mattered and even so I knew my jealousy was a me problem and not a him problem so it was just something I got over.

• He does and I don't care, she's hella chill and I trust both of them so

• If they have never dated then okay however thankfully I don't have to deal with that lol.

• Not cool with it
    Would not get emotionally invested in someone with close female friends.

I know girls.

• I wasn't jealous on these kind of things but after being cheated on with his girl friend whom he was saying that a close one , I don't approve it anymore