Should a boyfriend or girlfriend be able to dictate who you can be friends with?

A friend of mine has started seeing her ex again. Now he hates me, no idea why, but he does. She seems to not want to talk if he's around, almost afraid to talk, but if he's not, she's fine with me and will talk to me. Nothing romantic has ever happened between us, but as friends we are close. In my opinion he doesn't trust her, don't know why, as she's not a cheater, if she's with someone, she has eyes for only him.

21

What Girls Said 2

• No a boyfriend or girlfriend should absolutely not be able to dictate who you are friends with. The fact he doesn't trust her and wants to control who she's friends with doesn't sound good and to be honest it doesn't sound like a relationship that will last. Ya girl needs to sit her boyfriend down and tell him that she's her own person and she can be friends with who she wants and if he's not okay with that well then she can do so so so much better

• I told her that myself, when they broke up the first time! I think he does think that I'm in her ear saying 'dump him' but I'm not. She's her own person, but I care about her and don't want her to get hurt. He'd have a right go at her if he caught her talking to me. Have always felt that he tries to control her. Even after they'd split, she went out on a Saturday night, put something on social media about it, on a platform that he has no account on, and he had a go, saying 'who were you out with?' It was another guy, but she lied and said friends, then said to me don't tell him or he'll go mad. I worry for her.

• God it doesn't sound great ! However she has to realize on her own that he's not the right guy for her. There's only so much you can say. Hopefully she realizes sooner rather than later !

• Her mum has actually told her that he's not right for her! I'd never tell her who to or not to date, that's her own choice, when they first started dating I said 'I don't see the attraction myself, but if you're happy then I'm happy for you' even made an effort with the guy, talked to him to show him I'm alright, but wouldn't have it. She actually said when they started dating that we are close, since then it's like he's trying to almost isolate her from people she trusts. But I'm damned if he's going to come between our friendship!

• No. Unless the friend is not a good person. For example if they sense that the friend is backstabbing you, then I think it's fine if they give you their opinion. But its not fine to dictate.

What Guys Said 1

• absolutely not , no , never