If your partner had no job & wasn't actively seeking, how long would you wait before breaking up with them? Assume that you are living together?

Assume that you're the only person that is contributing financially.

• Less than 1 month
    17%(2)16%(3)Vote14%(1)
  • 2-4 months
    42%(5)47%(9)Vote57%(4)
  • 5 months or more
    33%(4)21%(4)Vote0%(0)
  • I wouldn't leave them, even though they are not contributing financially.
    8%(1)16%(3)Vote29%(2)

Most Helpful Guy

• It does depend on if we are married. If we were together and she was not actively seeking work, then I would sit down with her and discuss our situation. If she's willing to be a homemaker/stay-at-home mom, then I'd have no problem bringing home the dough solo. However, she needs to get things done at home. Otherwise, it's not going to work out - because that is what a homemaker does - gets things done around the house. If we are not married, then I would be more leaning towards cutting her loose. I'd rather not waste my time or hers if she isn't willing to pull her weight in the relationship. I'm wiling to do what I can when I get home. But considering she would have 8 hours (or close to it) every day that I'm at work available to do things, she should definitely be able to take care of a bunch of chores. I wouldn't care wish ones she chose to do, as long as they get done and she makes valiant effort to get as much done as possible. It's VERY likely that she would get all the chores done and still have extra time to do whatever she wants. If that's the case, then great! I don't want her to rush and risk getting hurt. But the more, the better. Otherwise, she either needs to get a job or consider being with someone else.

• That is a very fair answer, thank you. My boyfriend and I are not married, but we have been living together for 2 years in a house that I own. I pay all the bills and mortgage, while he has been living there and hasn't been contributing for about 2 months now. He talks about getting a job but hasn't even sent out 1 resume. When I try to talk to him about it, he insists that I leave him alone. Nothing gets done around the house either.

• You're welcome. Good luck to you both!

• Thanks very much for MHGO.

Most Helpful Girl

• My uncle took almost 10 years to get a job in his field of study after immigrating to Canada despite having a phd in his home country. He is no 70 and making around $160 000 a year in U. S. dollars.

• It's just an issue, that a 25 year old healthy male isn't even attempting to find a job... any job! And he isn't specialized in anything. Meanwhile i'm stuck with all the bills

• Well my boyfriend has a high school diploma, and not too much experience. But he is too lazy

• I would encourage him to go to school and if he refuses - break up with him.

What Guys Said 2

• I'd probably ask about my own friends see if they can stick their head out and maybe be willing to try to get my SO a job. Even if its a poop job at this point if I were in your situation you really can't afford to be too picky. As if you wait too long your going to anyways have to start from the bottom and work up as you will be seen as unexperinced in the modern era. I'm not going to leave cause my other half doesn't have a job. Rather just be there to support them till they get a job. And tell them it might suck now but put the effort in and get payed and keep moving up the ladder.

Hope is not viable option in life when your an adult.

• The issue is that he isn't seeking a job... so it's not like he can't get it, it's the no effort is put into looking for it or trying to get it.

• For sure, thats a great idea thank you! I am thinking that if he doesn't get his act together by the end of this month, I might just ask him to move out until he gets his stuff together. I can't financially support 2 people

• I'd say tell him he can find the job himself or your going to start asking your own friends if there's openings where they work and he has to then pick one of them. OwO And then he can make the decision find his own work or get stuck with one of your personal friends xD. Watch him like drop what he's doing and like start searching. As I'm sure he would prefer to have control over where he works rather than not and get some random job that might pay well but isn't his optimial choice. xD.

• 2 to 4 months is a good range. if they recently lost their job then a slump of some kind is to be expected. But, if the person is still avoiding getting another job it's because they either let their hate for work control them, or they aren't trying hard enough which means laziness. I was there when I first left high school. I knew I needed one but getting one seemed depressing. The only reason I did start looking was because I realized what I was doing. 2 to 4 months of completely avoiding a job is quite a bit but at that point it's obvious that the person is going to rely on you for as long as they can and that'll bring conflict to the relationship.

• For sure, 2-4 months is fair. I am stuck with all the bills and financial responsibility, when he is a 25 year old young male that could easily get a part-time job at best. he is just too lazy

• The best thing to do is ask him why he's doing this, and if he ever plans to start helping anytime soon. A relationship is supposed to be two people helping each other. not one person living off the other.

What Girls Said 3

• Depends why they weren't looking but about 2-4 months.

• you're not looking for a job? bye

• It depends on how long we've been together, his reason for not working, and my financial situation.