Why is it people think my boyfriend and I are cute together but when they find out the age difference their opinion changes?

I told some people at work that my boyfriend was 28 and that I am 19 and suddenly their judgement shifted and now my boyfriend is some villain for loving me and now he can't possibly love me because he is "using" me. Why is age such a big deal for people?

38

Most Helpful Guy

• Way too many people judge people based on their personal beliefs and then decide it applies to everybody. Ignore what the classless people who do this> If you are secure with this man. It always amazes me how quick people change their thoughts about a person because of something that they have no clue about. Personally, I don't have any friends that do that because I don't keep the negative people in my life. All they do is bring you down. Being positive is way better than being negative. You do what you know is right for you. That is whats most important.

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 7

• It's cute until you realize a man turning almost 30 is dating a women turning almost 20. That is not a small chunk of change here

It's cute... if you guys are in the same growing up range... because you have to depend on each other to get through life's struggles.. However it's not cute when a 28 year old man is fondling a girl that just became a legal adult --> it's just odd at this age

If you are 40 and he's 50 its less funky... if you are 13 and he is 23 it's even more funky... the younger the funkier, the older the less funky

• THIS^^^

It just screams "I am not mature enough for people my age" or "I can easily manipulate a younger peson, but I dont want to make it obvious".

• @zagor that doesn't apply. Because maturity and simply clocking in the years are two different things. Thinking like a grown up requires clocking in the years. You can be mature at 18 but still think like an 18 year old. Make decisions like a 18 year old and have wisdom and experiences like a 18 year old. Time doesn't speed up. It's constant for everyone

Every 18 year old says Im mafure for m y age

• But how people change with the passage of time varies enormously by individual. Some 18 year old's (not many) are responsible enough to work full time or raise children. Others aren't at 40.

• Bcoz people are illogical irresponsible authorities. you need to care only for those who cares you. people will rumor for four days, then they'll become used to it and finally accept the truth, this is the public nature. Do what you like, never care for conservative people, this is the way of living life. :-)

• Age gap dating isn't really accepted in the US. We're too judgmental and have too many taboos. I could have a 20yo girlfriend in Paris and nobody would care. Just refer to him as "older" and sidestep further questions - especially with people you're around everyday. If you act/sound like you know what you're doing most will assume you do and leave it at that.

• It's because you still have the teenager label. Once you turn 20 you lose that title and people refer to you as a woman instead of a teenage girl. 20 and 29 year old doesn't sound quite as bad.

• I have thought of this exact thing which is why I won't feel like I have to hide my age or his when I turn 20 in a few months. People think "wow she's a teenager and he's almost 30 that is so gross" I even asked what if I was 22 and he was 31 and suddenly that was okay...

• Well because if he was 22 then you'd have things in common, but him being 28 it's kinda less likely.

• well, society has customs and norms. it's just different, and people don't like different.

• Daddy issues or goldie (or both). Which is it?

• I don't have daddy issues. I have a great relationship with both of my parents. And I don't know what you mean by goldie

• Gold digger

• Well he doesn't have a lot of money so no lol if anything people would say that he's with me for the papers lmao

What Girls Said 2

• just ignore them and focus on your life instead.

• You're attractive people and your relationship is disturbing