Why do some people think it's bad to date many people at the same time?

Isn't dating's purpose to get to know people?
Being exclusive and committed is a thing, and dating is another thing?

I have many girlfriends who date many guys at the same time and they just go out and talk basically, at the end they commit to the one they want to be in a relationship with.

Some time ago I said there is nothing wrong with dating many people at the same time and I got many downvotes. But it doesn't make sense in my opinion. It's definitely not cheating if you are not officially in a relationship.

2654

Most Helpful Guy

• From what I see in the comments it sounds like you consider going out and getting to know someone as dating this person. Which would explain why this one girl recently asked me about how we dated... maybe 10 years ago, and I was sitting there thinking that we never dated. If I go out with a girl for some drinks and sit down to get to know them as a person that's not dating. That's socializing with someone that I consider to be a friend. Sometimes nothing changes and we remain friends and nothing more and sometimes things happen. To me, dating means you are actually with that someone. That doesn't mean that person is your boyfriend or girlfriend. But if you are dating someone you that is the beginning stage of being exclusive. So, when someone tells me that they thinks it's okay to date several people at the same time I am going to view that as that person is admitting to cheating on the person (s) that they are dating. Unless the person they are dating is aware of it and is perfectly okay with it.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Makes sense, good answer.

Most Helpful Girl

• People have different ideas of what dating is. For some, dating means exclusivity and for others it's just the process of finding a partner. It's just a matter of being upfront and honest about your definition of dating.
    As for meeting several people simultaneously, I don't judge those who do it but I do personally find it somewhat weird. I don't have the ability to be interested in more than one person at a time so the idea of "dating around" seems really disingenuous and inorganic to me.
    But yeah, if you're open and honest about your relationship status, it's definitely not cheating.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE