Should people have the right to ask for a refund if they aren't satisfied with the first date?

So, I was watching tv the other day and I saw something that I found very interesting.

A guy went on a date with this girl, and he wasn't satisfied with it. He paid for the entire date, food and everything and he found that him and the girl didn't click, so when he went home, he texted the girl and told her that he wasn't satisfied. The girl completely understood and gave him his money back.

So so if you weren't satisfied with a date, would you want a refund? Why or why not?

• Yes, they have every right to demand a refund!
  • No, suck it up and deal with it.

927

Most Helpful Guy

• I mean, they obviously have a right to ask, but I think they should just suck it up and stop paying for dates with people you aren't serious with.
    Stop allowing people to use you for your money. If you're not willing to deal with your life decisions, then don't make those decisions.

• And what exactly do you do if you live in a culture where you're expected to pay?

• @ThisDudeHere No, where have I accused you of complaining in real life? Please quote me.

• @flowergirl3 "than a pushover who is so concerned about how others might judge him for doing what is right."

The assumption can be made that this also implied irl as it does not state otherwise. Either way, I don't want to clog Ale's notifications.

Most Helpful Girl

• That sounds perfectly cool of her to give him back the money.

What Guys Said 26

• I thought the purpose of dating was to get to know the person and find out if anything is there. If everything clicks, you go out again. If not, you don't. Either way the date served it's purpose.

In other words, B, suck it up.

• I once went on a date and I gave this queenpuff a rant on how I don't pay for first dates --> which was somewhat bs because I do just really didn't feel like paying for this one because I had 3 more lined up that same week

Of course she made faces like a 2 year old at the sight of green peas... She probably huffed and puffed a little

Anyways, She goes on to tell me how she didn't bring any money just a visa.. So I said what the heck lets tell this cheapo that we'll split it and just pay me back. So I paid and she agreed

God forbid If I ever ask her for her half... well I did and guess what? She got pissy face and we never spoke after that again.. It was a good experiment though and I knew what I was getting into... muahahh

Moral of the story --> Girls ain't giving up their share of the pie, free dates that is

• Dude, the more I read about your dating stories the more I feel like all those girls you are dating are just not interested in you.

• OMG... if i were to get a refund of all my shitty dates... im buying a house. I hope they can make that into a law so these gold digging females can stop being bitch ass complainers when they are getting a free ride.
    Guy spends hundreds and all they get to do is just show up... then they still have the nerve to complain. They would be more complacent and tolerant if they knew they had to refund that shit.
    but sadly... its not a law. Thats why i dont pay for shit on dates... the only thing i spend is time... until she is my girl.. then i dont mind. i'd love to.

• lol no! xD If they put their money into a slot machine or onto a card table and lose, is it okay to demand a refund when they aren't satisfied with the results? :P If they pay for a movie at the theater, sit all the way through, and decide that the movie sucked, is it reasonable to demand a refund from the theater? xD

The same idea applies to spending time --- and sometimes money --- to see if someone might be a good partner for them. Sometimes gambles don't pay off. It's okay if they don't want to take the risk of gambling, but if they DO take the gamble, they have to be willing to take the potential loss.

• The most ideal situation is one where both parties just pay for themselves when on a date. But if one has to pay for both then I think it in a way makes sense to want to have a refund. Especially if said party is from the group that is pretty much expected to waste money on each date and never receive anything in return.

• The whole purpose of the date is to find out if you are right for each other. If it doesn't work, that's just the way it goes. Actually, demanding a refund is kind of dumb. The girl might think he's not right for her, but she might think he's a good match for a friend, or a sister. He's burning his bridges asking for a refund.

• Aside from the money, initially I was confused like okay hey the date sucked can I have my 3 hours back XD but now that I read the description, I understand better. Well he (or she) should understand that there's no guarantee that the date will be 100% awesome. Perhaps it was raining, or restaurant caught on fire, or the theater caught on fire, or the aquarium caught on fire (I'm sure its possible those sting rays have some electric power!)

But the choice was made by visiting that restaurant and theater or whatever the hell they did. Lol now I wonder if a date should come with a no guarantee contract. Now a days everything has a contract, can you sue a person cause the date sucked? I hope not. But all that aside, no their should be no refund, maybe a do over date something different?

• Well it's a debatable one.. i personally feel it's genuine if both r mutually accepting this.. so they cn split up.. usually it doesn't happen.. but then yea.. its trending now.. so I guess more such cases would pop up sometime soon.

• Just split the bill.

• No refund. One who spends the money should do it of his own free will and should be willing to get good or bad results. Because in dating , nothing is sure.

• LOL that is funny! NO just like anything else in life... You dont know if you will like it until you try it

If i ordered food i never had before and I didn't like it i wouldn't ask for a refund I would just know. not to get that food again.. It wouldn't be fair for the owner of the restaurant to refund my food just cause i never had it before and didn't like it... Just like everything else in life its a learning experience.

• Seems kinda awkward to request that. I think it should just be split at the end of the date so neither party feels used or screwed over.

• sure you can ask for anything you want. are you going to get it? probably not.

• This problem wouldn't exist if people split the goddamn bill.

• Wow, that's interesting! If I was paying, then I suppose I may consider it. However, it makes it seem more like a business, rather than non-business and love should not be a business. And if I chose to, I could give some money back to her if I didn't feel I needed a full refund.

• Lol no. You chose to pay, you suck it up xD

• NO! There is no satisfied guaranteed or money back after a date have worked out or not! I and others did spent a lot and failed later. Suck it up!

• Do a coffee date or something else small to check each other out first. Maybe a wine tasting so both parties start to look better and better.

• Its all manners. If you invited you pay for it. Its you who make the choice. Relationships can't be bought from walmart

• Naah i dont think so

• No if you don't like the first date then don't go a second

• nah, that would make me feel like shit if i even considered it.

• No time is money, which is spent with that person though is was not quality time.
    and ny the way you can get cost effective by Next time dating me.

• No, or I would have to pay back a lot of girls.

• lol, no, i dont think businesses would like that very much.. who would even return money, anyway?

• WHY THE FUCK DON'T YOU JUST EACH PAY FOR WHAT YOU EAT IN THE FIRST PLACE? WHY MAKE IT SO COMPLICATED? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH.

What Girls Said 8

• They can ask but id laugh them out the door. Nah, first dates should be minimal spending and just getting to know each other. Go for drinks and get a round each kind of deal.

• I mean, that's an interesting social experiment, but I don't think it has much of a place in the real world. The idea that the guy should pay for the whole date is an old fashioned notion to begin with. A date is not a business transaction. If you don't want to waste money on a date that won't go anywhere, choose cheap activities for first dates and go dutch.

• this subject is so silly to me. if two people WANT the date both should pay. one person paying is like they are trying to persuade the other bribe them. each just pays their half then there's no refund necessary. anyhow no. you decided to go on the date no one forced you. if you see a movie you dont like you dont get your money back, bc you still got the experience of watching the movie. whether you liked the date or not you had it.

• It's the risk you take. Even if I paid for the bad date, I would not expect a refund. You don't always win in life.

• Suck it up buttercup. Don't spend so much next time. Or don't date someone who expects you to pay for them

• It was his choice to pay, he knew he might not like the girl as much as he thought he did. I don't think guys need to pay for dates, but if they do, they shouldn't ask for the money back.

• Why not just go dutch & split the bill.

• Holy hell that'd be ridiculous xD