How do I lie to my parents that I'm going out with my boyfriend for the afternoon?

So my boyfriend and I first met on a cruise last spring break (he's now 19, I'm 18 and we're both seniors in high school, we became friends and texted each other funny stuff everyday and we Skyped too, so 2 months ago he told me on Skype that he likes me and asked me to be his girlfriend and didn't care about distance (New Jersey and Montana) and I said yes because I felt the same way about him. He begged his older brother and sister (Both one year older than him, fraternal twins) for them to take him to New Jersey and they agreed to do it next Saturday. I came up with the idea that we should take a walk at a beautiful park and then go see a movie and he thought the idea was wonderful. However, when I asked when should we tell our parents he said he thinks it's too soon to tell our parents yet and since I thought about it, 2 months isn't that long so I agreed we should wait a few months to settle into our relationship, don't get anything wrong here we both decided it is a good idea to never do anything sexual until later on if he really wants the relationship to be serious (as in marriage) but of course I'm never putting that into question until years from now. Our relationship is pretty much set in stone because when we became boyfriend and girlfriend he said he's looking for a long term relationship and is mature and would never cheat on me or hurt me and would always protect me. He is also afraid of my parents if they would approve of us due to our LDR because he tells me he really loves me. So I'm not really going to like sneak off away from my parents I'm just going to lie to them that I'm going with my friends to the movies however then they ask if I need a ride back home and always ask to meet my parents friends who are taking us if they've never met them unless they have already. Should I just tell them that it's my friend that I've always gone to the movies with? I'm walking there with my boyfriend should my plan be? I will appreaciate all helpful answers. Thanks!

Please don't tell me that what I'm doing is wrong. We're only not telling our parents because we've been only dating for 2 months and aren't ready to make things very serious at that level. Besides I've seen, been with him, and known him for almost a year now. The only thing we'd do at the movies is talk, cuddle and kiss each other. He is very mature and has never cheated or hurt anyone. He's never even had a girlfriend before because he tells me girls at his school aren't nice and mature as me

30

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 3

• You should tell your parents that you are going to go out with a friend. Tell them you talk by Skype and he happened to be in town and you are going to meet for a movie. Just be vague about having a relationship with him.

• I honestly would, at the very least, tell them you are going on a date, and where you will be. Dates are just dates. They don't automatically imply a deeper relationship.

Telling your Parents about your relationship doesn't mean you're getting more serious. It just means you value them, and they'll be more open to a more serious relationship change later on. When you show your parents you trust them, they'll be more willing to trust your judgement and respect your decisions. If they catch you sneaking around and telling lies, I guarantee they will instantly dissaprove of the relationship. They will be hurt, and it will cause problems.

You say he really loves you, so he shouldn't have a problem with you telling your parents if you've decide to do so. He won't try to disuade or pressure you against it if he really values you as a mature person, with mature thoughts and opinions.

I'm not trying to tell you what is wrong and what is right. I'm just giving you options to consider, and insight based on my own experiences-- I've found that being honest is always better!
    However, it's your choice to make. Think it through carefully, and don't do anything that doesn't feel right.
    Good luck!

• It's just that my boyfriend is afraid to meet my parents and is afraid they will disapprove of him and that they'll keep me away from him and that I'd never be able to see or talk to him again. He said "If they disapprove of me and keep you away from me by any contact, I don't think I'd be able to live with myself" (awww). Anyways I'm sure if he somehow had the assurance that they will love him then he wouldn't mind, but I'm not sure how to do this without letting them know. Any advice?

• I don't really think there is a way to do so without them knowing. They can't love him if they don't know he exists. The sooner they know him, the sooner they can love him. You and your parents are kind of a 'package deal' long term, so sooner or later he's going to have to meet them. The sooner they meet, the easier it will be in the long run- less scary and less painful overall. If you keep your relationship hidden for too long, your parents will probably think it's because you've been doing shadey things or that he's just using you. Keeping something hidden, no matter how good it is, makes it look suspicious and they'll be far less likely to approve.

It sounds like you really like this guy- I think you'll be able to have a better, longer relationship overall if you are honest with your parents from the get-go.

• I'd try saying something like "hey, remember that cruise I went on? Well, I met this really great guy named *** there. We've stayed in touch and have become good friends, in fact, we've recently decided to become bf/gf. He's going to be in town this week with his siblings and we'd like to go on a date. I really want you guys to get to know him too though, so would you like to meet him beforehand?" (Suggest skype/something.)

Just try to stay calm, honest, and positive when you talk to them. Showing that you (and him) trust and respect your parents will go a long way! :)

• Tell them the truth

• It's just that my boyfriend is afraid that my parents won't approve him and that they'd keep me away from him and I would no longer be able to contact him. Is there any way to give this assurance to him (without telling my parents) that these bad things won't happen to us?

• But if they find out you lied to them that will make their opinion of him worse so best to tell the truth