How to go out with a girl that is convinced she is your cousin?

So this girl (whom I shall call Ruth) thinks we are second cousins, we are not related. She is my cousin's wife's sister. I did not fancy her at first but she has grown on me and I kind of regret my tradition of making friend's with my relatives' in-laws and calling them "cousins". Ruth actually thinks we are. I explained the whole second cousins, once, four times removed business, and when she was at this thing where they asked, "What have you learned this week?" she said she found out she had a cousin- ME! She totally forgot. I really like her but she sees me as her cousin, she is actually CONVINCED. What should I do?

She is moving to NZ for a year and a half, and I have agreed to email her once a month or two...

26

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 2

• What? No, find someone else cause she won't change her view about it

• Maybe she keeps saying that because she doesn't want to date you.

• This is going to sound so weird, I hardly ever see her and whenever I do, it is always she who runs up to me all excited to see her "cousin". I have not seen her for more than half a year and I have only just started having a crush on her. She thinks I am into the cousin thing too.

• Eh... Okay

What Guys Said 5

• Lost cause mate... let it go...

• If she's convinced there isn't much you can do. Maybe if you put bigger emphasis that you're not blood related instead of mentioning the word cousin she may think about it differently, but I don't know if it would help much.

• Oof, I'd leave that alone if she is that dead set on being your cousin. Maybe if you get her to realize she's not then sure, but I'd feel uncomfortable dating a girl who legitimately thought she was my cousin or any kind of relative.

• she's a losr cause I'm sorry

• You've not just been friend zoned. . you've been family zoned. . now it'd be incest to her. Give it up mate.. she might like you when she comes back and you're older by which point you'll probably not be into her anyway. Thus is life.