What are some dating tips for an amateur please?

Background info: I've only ever dated guys who I've always known, either a colleague, a neighbour, etc. So the ice had already been broken long before. I've recently decided to try online dating and I have 3 dates lined up with 3 different men. This is strange territory for me and I'm hoping to get tips on what to expect and great topics of conversation. I don't need the safety tips because I have common sense in that regard and am rather cautious. Please help me.

Thanks in advance.

12

What Guys Said 2

• One of the most helpful pieces of advice is quite simple: There are two people in a conversation. You are not solely responsible for keeping the conversation going. If the person you are on a date with is serious about it, he will try his very best (too) to avoid awkward silences.

That being said, it will inevitably happen that it just doesn't click with whoever you are on a date with. If this is the case, there is no need to try and force it to work out. When you find someone you click with, however, talking becomes a breeze. You seemingly never run out of things to talk about and when you aren't sure what to say, they pick up where you left off. It's great.

In order to get there, you do need to break the ice. For a first date, something casual as grabbing a coffee together is best in my opinion. It is the perfect opportunity to talk. If you know a good cafe near you, all the better. Stuff like going to the movies is not a good idea because you can't get to know each other at all.

As for topics of conversation, it is usually enough to stick to the basics and go from there. The basics are questions about their job/career, family, how they spend their free time etc. Questions like: "What do you usually do when you have nothing to do?" are pretty good to start things off. There is a great TED talk about having good conversations. It may seem a bit weird to walk a TED talk about it, but it is interesting and frankly pretty fun to watch. Here is the link: www.ted.com/.../celeste_headlee_10_ways_to_have_a_better_conversation

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I'd be glad to help!

• Just show up and smile.

What Girls Said 1

• Be polite and be eager to listen what the other person has to say. Don't be afraid to ask them questions as well.