Do your parents ever push you to date or marry a certain individual?

Let's say you know a Peter/Sarah and your mom or dad says "I think Peter/Sarah is great for you! The/she is so smart and good looking, you should totally go out with him/her!"

Even though Peter/Sarah is cute and pretty successful, would your parents pushing you be a turn off? Would you start to dislike Peter/Sarah for the fact that they are being pushed on you?Do your parents ever push you to date or marry a certain individual??

209

Most Helpful Girl

• Not anyone specifically, my mom did try to push me towards men with money though. She gets now that I don't give a shit about that stuff though so she's backed off.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, my mom has had her eye on certain girls who she made me ask out. This one girl my mom wanted me to ask out and though that she would be perfect for me since she was quiet like me. I eventually asked her out but things didn't work out so we never went out. She eventually married and has kids. My mom says she was the one for me and she got away.

I have a childhood friend who i went to school (middle school) who recently got married a few years back then divorced. She has two kids and my mom was like you should ask her out on date! Not really attracted to her and she has two kids so no dice.

Another one, my dad has a friend who has a daughter who is the same age as me and my dad thinks that me and her would make beautiful music together! I find her to be cute but she's loud when around me and I know her sister and mom since I was a teenager.

What Girls Said 19

• they've pushed me to NOT go near a certain guy.

• My mom wants me to date my best friends Lawrence and Avery. She's been calling them "her sons" for the past 6 years. But sons is all they will be because I brozoned them for a reason. Lawrence is fine but Im just not into him like that. Avery is funny but nahh. They both bros... like blood bros

• Yeah they want me to marry and educated respectable Muslim man, preferably Tunisian or at least Arab.
    But they never pushed me to be with anyone.

• That has never happened to me.

• Nope, my parents know better than to intervene in my love life.

• YES all the time

• My mother constantly tries to make me pursue soccer players, lol. Like, whenever we're watching it together she'd go like "How about that one?" "No." "& him? He looks good!" "No." "You don't want anyone, do you?" "None of these, no."
    xD

• My dad only tried that once with me and I was absolutely furious about it

• No, I am fortunate that my mother allows me to date whoever I wants to but of course she would be honest if she liked him or not

• My parents were really into me dating the youth club leader from our village. He's fine on paper but I didn't find him attractive.

• They prefer for me to be with someone with the same ethnicity but don't care overall. I'm open to whatever race

• ya that's how it is with my parents, I honestly couldn't care less about race.

• Nope.

• No never.

• Fortunately my parents had absolutely no input whatsoever into who I dated, and eventually married.

• I hate it when they do that like nope I will actually start to hate the guy for it even more

• No, it has never happened to me.

• Never. Unless he's indian.

• I think it has something to do with your ego... And you start being subjective not objective toward them because someone just make you to do something that you are told to do

• No because they know me I do the opposite

What Guys Said 8

• It would only be a turn off if they were too pushy. Your parents can give you better advice than most people for almost anything. *** However, on those sorts of things they tend to be right on the big picture , but sometimes wrong on the smaller things like chemistry. You should seriously consider whether the person they are suggesting COULD be right for you and try things out with them if applicable.

I would have 2 questions:

1. Why do your parents think this person is special? (Does their reason matter to you)

2. If they don't provide some high level reason like: He / She seems like someone that would spend a lot of time making their partner happy.
    - Why don't your parents trust you to notice "Jane looks cute"
    (Which means they like Jane's parents and don't care whether Jane makes you happy.)

*** Some parents want to control your life. This is not called parenting. It's called losing touch with reality.

• My mom always thought "insert girl's" was right for me. We were both shy but other than that didn't have anything in common. We were three years apart and I think the only reason my mom ever gave me to ask her out was "I want you to marry her" and also "People will talk about you if you don't get a girlfriend" and "Why aren't you dating since your in your early 20's?"
      "You should be going out with girls as friends and having fun on Saturday nights!" My mom means well but I really don't feel forced to date anyone my parents find "special". I actually had a gut feeling that this girl was the one for me at the time.

• They've tried to set up a couple of dates for me but nothing more than that. I think they trust my judgement when it comes to the girls I date and who I would want to marry.

But if my parents did start being really supportive of me dating someone then of course that wouldn't be a turn off. I would definitely want whoever I'm dating to get along with my parents since family is also really important to me.

• I don't think it would matter either way. I mean if I decide that "Sarah" is not the girl for me, I'll do it based on my own thinking and feelings, so I doubt that if my parents were "pushing" her onto me that it would really matter in my judgement.

• They never push me, per se, but they heavily encourage me to find someone to love romantically. This can end up being a tad uncomfortable for me since I prefer to think of my friends as brothers and sisters instead of potential fuckbuddies.

• No that never happened, it was my own decision

• No..

• Nope

• Omg My parents does this to me they push me to date this girl